Author Topic: WinXp Home freezes after avast installation  (Read 7999 times)

guivho

WinXp Home freezes after avast installation
« on: March 19, 2004, 03:32:39 PM »
I've been installing the home version on a winxp home machine that still has a norton av installation. I intend to remove nav after successfull install of avast. However, a couple of minutes after reboot, the pc freezes: mouse and keyboard are completely dead. The only way to recover was to unpower the machine, boot it up in safe mode and uninstall avast. This machine has a dialup connection.

I suspect that this may be caused by interaction with nav. But can somebody give me some more details on such interaction. I'd hate to remove nav, only to detect that the pc still freezes after installing avast due to some other unidentified problem.

Basically, I'd like to have some info about the probability that interaction with nav causes this problem.

TIA.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:WinXp Home freezes after avast installation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 09:34:28 PM »
Yes, there certainly is such a kind of conflict between NAV and avast.
avast! has a number of checks for NAV presence... but maybe it failed this time. What NAV version do you have? I believe there was a fix recently, regarding detection of NAV 2003 - but I don't remember if it was already released or not.

If you search this board, you'll find a lot of threads on NAV (removal).

techie101

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 11:56:56 PM »
guivho,  
As Igor has explained, the two AVs do not get along together.  Both use resident shields and unless Norton is completely removed, conflict will result.

You must remove Norton before a proper installation of AVAST can be accomplished.  Don't worry about installation problems with AVAST.  There usually aren't any, but we are here to help you if any should arise.

My good friend Technical wrote a reply which you will find here regarding the removal of Norton:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3002;start=msg21341#msg21341

Follow Technical's instructions carefully and you will have Norton removed in its' entirerty.  Then you can install AVAST and enjoy its' wonderful features.

Good luck
techie101

CoJo

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 12:11:32 AM »
guivho,  
As Igor has explained, the two AVs do not get along together.  Both use resident shields and unless Norton is completely removed, conflict will result.

You must remove Norton before a proper installation of AVAST can be accomplished.  Don't worry about installation problems with AVAST.  There usually aren't any, but we are here to help you if any should arise.

My good friend Technical wrote a reply which you will find here regarding the removal of Norton:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3002;start=msg21341#msg21341

Follow Technical's instructions carefully and you will have Norton removed in its' entirerty.  Then you can install AVAST and enjoy its' wonderful features.

Good luck
techie101

techie, it's good to see you back!

and I remember the difficulty of removing Norton from my machine >:(

cojo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 02:16:32 AM »
I've been installing the home version on a winxp home machine that still has a norton av installation.

If after you read that link that techie gently posted you still have any doubt about desinstalling NAV, just let me know  ;)
The best things in life are free.

guivho

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 02:22:54 PM »
Hi,

I completely removed NAV, installed Avast, and everything went as a breeze!

Thanks to all of you , and boy, I love avast!  :)

Guido
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 02:23:26 PM by guivho »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »
I completely removed NAV

Are you sure? Did you manually edit the Registry keys like related in that links?  ::)
If not, you won't be protected for exe files running in DOS (or cmd window) or even installation exe files in a XP system...  :'(

guivho

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 06:32:39 PM »
Nope, I didn't touch the registry. As suggested in http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3002;start=msg21341#msg21341 I 1) uninstalled NAV, 2) booted, 3) ran rnav2003.exe, 4) booted and 5) did not touch the registry any further etc...

Do I have to go back and manually cleanout the registry?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 06:53:42 PM »
I'd still be interested in what version of NAV did you have, exactly? Do you still have the installation program?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

guivho

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 07:13:22 PM »
It was NAV 2002. I'm not sure whether the owner of the PC {I was helping out, kind off spreading the good stuff  :) } still had the original installation medium. I never asked, but I guess it is still available.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 08:42:27 PM »
I'm not sure the Registry must be cleaned for NAV 2002. I have the install file of it but, of course, I won't test it again...

I'm sure that for NAV 2003, some Registry keys are left behind in the Registry  >:(

guivho

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 10:59:58 PM »
I'll have a look at the registry next time I'm over there.
Thanks for your concern.

CoJo

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 11:23:25 PM »
I'm not sure the Registry must be cleaned for NAV 2002. I have the install file of it but, of course, I won't test it again...

I'm sure that for NAV 2003, some Registry keys are left behind in the Registry  >:(

Technical, I think so...that was part of the problem that I had trying to get rid of it on my system.

cojo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 12:26:30 AM »
If there is any interest, the Registry keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

(Please, be careful with Windows Registry, an error could be dangerous!)