Author Topic: Avast4 home edition free setup won't open!!  (Read 2967 times)

Wenzz

Avast4 home edition free setup won't open!!
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:00:42 AM »
Hello!!

I am having problems opening and setup of avast4home free download.  Once the download is complete I get the following error message:

An error 1006 (000003EE) has occurred.  Last performed operation was: opening the self extract archive.

Try to download setup file again.  If you use Internet Explorer clear it's cache before downloading.

I've tried 6 times to download and open the setup with no success.  I've even run scan disk and defrag. hoping to fix the problem with no luck.

Operating System: Windows ME
Avast Version:  4.7.1098.0
Basic Hardware configuration: 700 Megahertz AMD, 320MHz memory.
Connection to internet:  Dial-Up  w/ proxy server.
E-mail client: Outlook Express.
Other security software: None

Because my OS is Windows ME I've had a hard time finding a anti virus for my computer. 

I hope you can assist me feel free to contact me if you are in need of more information.

Also, I am a newbie with it comes to computers.  I would appreciate answers in computer for dummies format.

tls

Re: Avast4 home edition free setup won't open!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:45:05 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Wenzz!

What anti-virus, if any, did you have on your computer before trying to install avast?  Some are difficult to install completely and require more than 'Add/Remove Programs.' 

Did you try to download and install in one step?  It might be better to download and save to your hard disk (you desktop is a convenient place) and then run the file you saved.

Which site(s) did you download from?  I would suggest downloading directly from the avast! website, rather than from download.com (click on screenshot to enlarge).

By the way, I also have a computer running WinME, and have been using avast! home on that computer for more than a year.  :D   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »
Please, post the last 200-250 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.

ajayksoni1

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:11:20 PM »

Hello!!

I am having problems opening and setup of avast4home free download.  Once the download is complete I get the following error message:

An error 1006 (000003EE) has occurred.  Last performed operation was: opening the self extract archive.

Try to download setup file again.  If you use Internet Explorer clear it's cache before downloading.

I've tried 6 times to download and open the setup with no success.  I've even run scan disk and defrag. hoping to fix the problem with no luck.

Operating System: Windows xp
Avast Version:  4.7.1098.0
Basic Hardware configuration: 845G intell chipset
Other security software: None

I hope you can assist me feel free to contact me if you are in need of more information.

Also, I am a newbie with it comes to computers.

sender-
ajayksoni1@rediffmail.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »
ajayksoni1, it would be better to open a new thread for you only...
Can you save the downloaded file to disk before trying to execute it?
From which site are you downloading?
Did you have any other antivirus in this computer in the past?
The best things in life are free.

kubecj

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 08:22:06 AM »
The self extract file is broken. Re-download from another source, your download is not complete.