Author Topic: Uninstalling avast from Windows ME  (Read 2692 times)

professional_vagabond

Uninstalling avast from Windows ME
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:22:14 AM »
I recently installed avast on my friend's (no, really!) PC, which runs on Windows ME.  After doing so, the PC wouldn't display webpages in Internet Explorer, nor connect to the mail server in Outlook Express.  ISP is BellSouth DSL, whose tech support were able to detect a working connection from their end and suggested I uninstall avast.  Being unable to find avast listed in the programs for uninstallation in the Add/Remove Programs folder of the Control Panel, I instead (get ready...) MANUALLY DELETED the Alwil folder containing the avast program files.

Needless to say, this did not help matters.

So, I went to another PC, found this forum, and downloaded both the uninstall utility AND the setupeng.exe file for avast, saving both to CD.  Took the disc to friend's PC, loaded uninstall utility, ran it & rebooted PC.  No joy.

So, I loaded the .exe file and re-installed avast on the PC, then rebooted.  Still no joy.

So, I ran the uninstall utility again, thinking that, at least the program is now there for it to find and properly remove.  Alas, my thinking was once again in error, for after rebooting, I still can't get IE to display webpages, nor download email in OE.

So, I tried using System Restore in the Accessories/System Tools folder to "go back in time" two weeks prior to when I first loaded avast.  Well, that didn't work either, as Windows ME informed me that there were no valid system checkpoints to which to restore for the dates listed in bold during the entire month prior.

At this point, I don't know what to do.  I have a hunch that installing avast the first time changed some firewall or port setting in Windows ME, thus causing this problem, but I don't really trust my hunches right now on this subject.  Plus, as my not-so-elaborate usage above of technical terms might imply, I'm an amateur at this and in need of some serious technical advice.

Beating my head against a brick wall not being my idea of fun, I instead decided to post here and hope that someone might have some ideas about what I can do to get my friend's (honestly!) PC hooked up properly to the Internet & surfing webpages & email recipes again, short of buying them Windows XP and wiping the PC completely clean.  Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!  TYIA

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Uninstalling avast from Windows ME
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:09:38 AM »
Okay , it was a comedy of errors.  8) Bin there myself on occasion.

On ME and down, a proxy has to be set up for the webshield and the mail. It's a lot easier than it sounds.  ;)

The uninstall tool won't work after you deleted the Alwil folder. It needs that folder as a "target".

My sugestion, in order to make sure that you have a clean install of avast is to use the uninstall utilty. Make sure that the awil folder is highlighted in the box. see image below.

Reboot and reinstall avast.

It was most likey a firewall issue. The firewall has to allow ashwebsv.exe, avast.setup and ashmaisv.exe internet access.

On ME and down, a proxy has to be set up for the webshield and the mail. It's a lot easier than it sounds.  ;)
Use this link to set the webshield proxy. During the install use the email wizard to set up your mail. Additional info can be found in the help files. Right click the "a" icon, click program settings, click help. find the section on webshield and internet mail.

http://avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

professional_vagabond

Re: Uninstalling avast from Windows ME
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Thank you so much for the information and the link you provided, oldman!  Yes, it was a comedy of errors, although I didn't find it very amusing at the time.   :P  I'll try your suggestions this weekend and report back on the results.