Author Topic: Ignore files  (Read 2777 times)

hegedusa

Ignore files
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:03:12 AM »
I have been asked if Avast can be told to selectively ignore certain files if they are detected as viruses, but the user wants to keep them on the system. I can see there's an exclusion list, but is there an easy way of telling Avast to ignore a virus and let the user use that file, if the user chooses to do so, and then set it to always ignore it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ignore files
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:49:11 AM »
No there isn't, this has been discussed on a number of occasions and the feeling is that Alwil don't want to make it to easy as a single accidental click could exclude a virus.

I wouldn't recommend keeping detected files on the system unless that detection is confirmed as false by checking the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here.

Then and only then if only avast is detecting it would I exclude the file and then you should send the sample to avast for analysis and correction of the VPS for the benefit of all avast users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:52:54 AM »
I can see there's an exclusion list, but is there an easy way of telling Avast to ignore a virus and let the user use that file, if the user chooses to do so, and then set it to always ignore it?
Indeed there are two Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:04:26 AM »
Tech the key part of the question is, is there another easier way other than the exclusion list.

<snip>
I can see there's an exclusion list, but is there an easy way of telling Avast to ignore a virus and let the user use that file, if the user chooses to do so, and then set it to always ignore it?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:14:51 AM »
I don't think so.
Always ignore = Exclusion list.
Ignore in this scanning (Home version) = Continue the scanning at the virus warning.
The best things in life are free.