Author Topic: 98 S.E problems on previous 4.7 build  (Read 21388 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: 98 S.E problems on previous 4.7 build
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »

My old computer is on W98SE and I use to experience the same problem you 2 are reporting. It is a memory problem with W98. Increase the RAM over 512 mb and the problem will go away. I run my W98 computer with 640 mb of RAM.

I actually tried to add another 256 of ram but for some reason when I turned on the PC and hit the internet explorer icon I went into a loop with a message saying that explorer could not connect and to restart, but as I say this went into a loop so I took out the RAM and the problem went away.

One other thing I would like to add is when the new RAM was in it showed up as a total of 511 instead of 512.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 03:49:04 AM »
nightshade, JwSmSmith, CharleyO:
I don't doubt for a moment that you are experiencing this problem but I've not seen anything like what you describe on any of the 98SE machines I know of with avast! 4.7 Home, and I've been trying to reproduce it ???.  None of these 98SE PCs have more than 256MB RAM.

Do you mean that Quicklaunch icons disappear during standard scan from standard skin.

98SE has big problems with GDI resources regardless of how much physical RAM you have so while increasing to 640MB may solve the problem in one case, another user may have no trouble with less.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:15:15 AM »

You are right, Vladimyr.

I guess the actual problem they are experiencing is too many other programs running while avast is doing a scan. Perhaps they should first stop unneeded programs before starting a scan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
<snip>
98SE has big problems with GDI resources regardless of how much physical RAM you have so while increasing to 640MB may solve the problem in one case, another user may have no trouble with less.

Your comment sparked a memory (excuse the pun) in that system resources aren't entirely related to how much RAM you have. From the dim and distant past I recall something like each system resource is only 64KB, at least that is what is used for recording its use and that would reach capacity before actually running out of RAM.

So the more applications running the more information recorded in this 64KB space, so that could be the issue. Memory management wasn't great in win98/98se with applications that have closed failing to give back any or all of the memory it was using. Memory leaks as I recall were also a concern when I was using win98 and win98se.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 03:56:29 PM »

Do you mean that Quicklaunch icons disappear during standard scan from standard skin.
To be honest it was a while back as I currently use AVG, but not for much longer due to the the dropped support for 98 sometime soon.

But I am sure the icon problem occured when running a normal scan with the default skin.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

miscreant

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »
I used 98se until recently ,(last six months) and never experienced that either.However i always loaded  Rsrcmtr.exe (found in windows folder) with windows (make a shortcut to startup).You may be able to view the resource drainage and what app is causing it.I do not believe its a ram issue ,i only had 256 and never had any problems.Also windows 98 will only be able to utilise a certain amount of ram (i believe its around the 512meg mark) even if you installed higher,without modifying max cache registry entries
m
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:53:42 PM by miscreant »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 02:19:20 AM »
miscreant
I checked 'system.ini' in a 1GB RAM 98SE machine and found these settings and note to myself.

[vcache]
ChunkSize=512
MinFileCache=16384
MaxFileCache=65536
; not limiting vcache with more than 512MB RAM causes problems

The absolute limit is 1GB even with vcache limitations.

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 05:29:37 AM »

So the more applications running the more information recorded in this 64KB space, so that could be the issue. Memory management wasn't great in win98/98se with applications that have closed failing to give back any or all of the memory it was using. Memory leaks as I recall were also a concern when I was using win98 and win98se.

Which is why I suggested more RAM be used. This gives more memory free when such applications do not release memory properly. With W98SE, there is a way to set higher RAM usage in RUN > MSCONFIG. I am not sure this exists in W98 as it has been too long since I used W98.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »
The memory isn't the true issue (IMHO), but the 64KB resource limitation, for those with what they consider to be adequate RAM and on a win98 system 256MB gets the job done, but ther will be swapping out to the swap file, unloading from RAM, etc. What doesn't change is this 64KB stumbling block.

But as I said way back in this topic, stopping all non-essential applications may help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 04:51:06 AM »
The memory isn't the true issue (IMHO), but the 64KB resource limitation, for those with what they consider to be adequate RAM and on a win98 system 256MB gets the job done, but ther will be swapping out to the swap file, unloading from RAM, etc. What doesn't change is this 64KB stumbling block.

Further reading?
Just happened to find this old link while cleaning out emails. http://www.meikel.com/en/support/freememfaq/Backup_Q117744.htm

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 06:05:50 AM »
Unlike some of these old fashioned users of Win98SE I like to keep more up to date so I have Windows Me on a machine with 128Mb.  (This is a seven year old Sony laptop - so it is not going to be getting any upgrades).

Last weekend will testing the infamous scanning problem in 4.8 I ran a thorough scan on that WinMe system (with avast 4.8).  For the first time ever I saw for my self that, when the scan ended, the quick launch icons had completely vanished. 

Unfortunately, there were no other applications running on that system that could be disabled.  I have to agree with others that this is likely a Win9x resource issue (the largely unresolvable Win9x architecture issue that finally convinced me to move to WinXP).       

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 06:15:40 AM »
Just to throw this out. I did experience similar behaviour with a couple of previous versions. I can't recall which ones. I'm not one for using each version as it was released. I just wait to be "forced".

What I do remember, it's been about a year since I saw what is being described.. It wasn't just during a full scan, but if the computer had been used for a log period of time. This didn't happen each time. It was probably a combination of programs previously opened, avast and windows poor resource mangment. 

As mentioned, I haven't seen that happen lately. Perhaps something in avast has changed. This computer or OS certainly hasn't.

Just to add a little more. I used to use mcafee with 64mb ram, no icon problem. Even with their infamous 4400 engine and current ram, there was no problem. Only with avast and current ram did I ever experience it.

I actually found it amusing, that I could erase the icon by dragging the mouse across it. The button was there just no icon on it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 02:19:18 PM »

Further reading?
Just happened to find this old link while cleaning out emails. http://www.meikel.com/en/support/freememfaq/Backup_Q117744.htm

Thanks for that which better explains what I was trying to explain about resource limitations of the win9x era.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »
As mentioned, I haven't seen that happen lately. Perhaps something in avast has changed.

Can I ask which version you currently use when you say you haven't seen it happen lately?
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 12:43:35 AM »
Can you try if the latest beta version solves this?
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.
The best things in life are free.