Author Topic: License Expired - no opportunity to enter new license key  (Read 32178 times)

stefanhz

License Expired - no opportunity to enter new license key
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:55 AM »
I am going up the wall - avast does not let me enter a new license key ... and the instructions in the email are for Windows only.

When I start avast, I'm getting the message "Application Expired", and the options are to either Quit or Change License. Changing the license however takes me to a dialog where avast asks for a license file - I have no idea where to look for that file, what its name is, how to enter a new license key, etc.

I've re-registered on the website, and received an email that was clearly talking about the Windows version only.

PLEASE HELP!

thx

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: License Expired - no opportunity to enter new license key
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:32:42 AM »
Avast for Mac is not Free you need to buy the program on the avast website before the license file will be e-mailed to you.

Only the Linux and Windows versions have free editions

Here is the link to purchase:
http://www.avast.com/eng/how-to-buy-avast-antivirus-mac-edition.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:35:42 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

meinrosebud

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 04:49:04 AM »
And it IS worth purchasing too.

keithhmh

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »
Hi meinrosebud,

By what criterian do you make that statement - I am about to buy and I  wondered aboutt the err no. problems - have they been fixed yet

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 03:17:39 AM »
Hi meinrosebud,

By what criterian do you make that statement - I am about to buy and I wondered aboutt the err no. problems - have they been fixed yet

hallo,
those errnos aren't problem at all - it's simply the reality. keep on mind that MacOS X is based on UNIX, and this system keeps user-separation principle fully. Thus, it's NOT allowed, for example, for user A to catch user's B file, even when infected. Similar thing are system files, which aren't readable for common users - they can't be normally scanned too. It's normal, expected and correct behavior, and avast's errnos simply inform about this case. Saying "file is OK" wouldn't be correct here, because the file wasn't visible for the user, and thus, scanning such file would break the user-separation principle. That's why err13 is returned instead.

But, so many people were scared by this straightforward style of reporting that we'll hide this in the next version, until explicitly enabled in Preferences.

regards,
pc
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:25:48 AM by zilog »
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »
Hi meinrosebud,

By what criterian do you make that statement - I am about to buy and I wondered aboutt the err no. problems - have they been fixed yet

hallo,
those errnos aren't problem at all - it's simply the reality. keep on mind that MacOS X is based on UNIX, and this system keeps user-separation principle fully. Thus, it's NOT allowed, for example, for user A to catch user's B file, even when infected. Similar thing are system files, which aren't readable for common users - they can't be normally scanned too. It's normal, expected and correct behavior, and avast's errnos simply inform about this case. Saying "file is OK" wouldn't be correct here, because the file wasn't visible for the user, and thus, scanning such file would break the user-separation principle. That's why err13 is returned instead.

But, so many people were scared by this straightforward style of reporting that we'll hide this in the next version, until explicitly enabled in Preferences.

regards,
pc

btw. if you want to access/scan really everything (files of all users, and also user-unreadable system files), run avast under root (= administrator) account. On unix it's pretty normal - do you want to do something that's global for the whole machine? well, do it, but you must be the root user. breaking this using a third-party appli cation wouldn't be good idea..
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

keithhmh

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:15:50 AM »
Hi Zilog

You have been very patient with me. I just went to buy a one year license and noticed they have it set for 19% Sales Tax. It is 17.5% here in the UK and I don't have a problem with the odd extra pence but I suspect some odd commercial law is being broken. Can you pass this on to your finance folk and have them check it out

rwkopcke

How to enter license # for the MAC
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:28:13 AM »
I read all vendor's the instructions. They are for Win only. I have read other threads here, but they do not tell me how to enter the license # that was sent to me when I bought the program. How do I enter the license #?

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: How to enter license # for the MAC
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
I read all vendor's the instructions. They are for Win only. I have read other threads here, but they do not tell me how to enter the license # that was sent to me when I bought the program. How do I enter the license #?

Select License from the avast menu and then navigate to the license file on your hard disk.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: How to enter license # for the MAC
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »

There are two cases:

case 1 - avast still runs in demo mode (thus, actually, you don't need to enter the license yet), but you can go to menubar -> avast! -> license anyway, and choose the license file (the menu item would be greyed out when some scan results are active in the scan-result window). correct license will be accepted, wrong license will go to case 2.

case 2 - the demo mode or previous license expired, and avast pops up the dialog about it. Then, the application is blocked, and you have to use the button "Change License" to enter the license. Then, application will continue to work normally. Or, when the demo-period is still active, you can use the "Remove License" button to ger rid of mistakenly inserted bad license.

regards,
pc

Gyrkin

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 12:25:07 AM »
Avast Free for Mac DID work for a year straight for me, just "expiring" a day or two ago.  I also use it on my PC and have spread the word, resulting in upgrade sales.  So why is it that we Mac users are being left out on a lurch now?

PS: responded here with the same problem, then got back to the Main and it seems there's a Beta for us Mac folk.  THANKS!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:29:42 AM by Gyrkin »

junehotfirk18

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
hello wer i can get a license file for free?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
You can't, you have to pay for the avast! Pro or avast! Internet Security programs - since this is the official avast support forum so people aren't going to help with software piracy/cracks, etc.

Use the free version of avast and the registration is free.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 04:21:41 AM »
You can't, you have to pay for the avast! Pro or avast! Internet Security programs - since this is the official avast support forum so people aren't going to help with software piracy/cracks, etc.

Use the free version of avast and the registration is free.

Since this is the Mac Section of the forum... Avast for Mac is now free and you no longer need a license file. Simply grab the product here:
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-mac