Author Topic: Speedy Shutdowns For Windows XP  (Read 5443 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Speedy Shutdowns For Windows XP
« on: March 20, 2004, 02:36:51 AM »
Speedy Shutdowns For Windows XP

By Mohammad Yousef

I'm a very impatient type of person and I'm easily irritated by anything that would waste my time. If you're like me (and you don't already know these tips), you're bound to like what I have in store for you. From the title, you must've guessed what this is all about: fast shutdown. And I don't mean the time Windows takes to close all the processes and save your personal settings. What I mean is the time it takes you to command Windows to shutdown.

There are plenty of ways to turn off your PC, so check them out and see which one suits you best.

A similar approach to the traditional way is going to your desktop, pressing Alt + F4 on your keyboard and then pressing "u." This is faster than the typical method if your hands are on the keyboard already.

Want a quicker technique while still using your mouse? Here's what to do. Go to your desktop and create a shortcut to "SHUTDOWN -s -t 01".

Right-click anywhere on your desktop (except on any icon).
Move your pointer to "New" and click "Shortcut."
(An alternative to steps 1 and 2 is pressing Shift + F10, press w then s.
Type "SHUTDOWN -s -t 01" (without quotes), click "Next."
(For Windows 9x and ME, use this shutdown command instead: "C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows" - also without quotes.)
You should see a textbox where you enter a name for the shortcut. By default, the name is "shutdown." Choose a name and click finish; you should see the new shortcut created.
These shutdown commands can be used in the Run dialog box from the start menu as well. Just type the command and press enter.

The list of methods of shutting down Windows goes on and on, but now's the time for the grand finale... the one-click shutdown.

Open the Display Properties (Right-click on your desktop and click Properties).
Go to the Screen Saver tab and click Power.
Click the Advanced tab.
You'll find a section called Power Buttons; choose from the combo boxes whether you want to shut down using the Power Button on your PC case or the Sleep Button on your keyboard (if your keyboard has one, that is).
Click OK in the 2 open windows.
Hope these tips come in handy and save you thousands of milliseconds!
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Speedy Shutdowns For Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 03:52:05 AM »
Want a quicker technique while still using your mouse? Here's what to do. Go to your desktop and create a shortcut to "SHUTDOWN -s -t 01".
---
Type "SHUTDOWN -s -t 01" (without quotes), click "Next."

Interesting, Technical, thanks.  Admittedly the time to go through the "standard" shutdown via the Start menu is negligible, as you mentioned, compared to the time it then takes Windows to actually close processes and shut down, so I probably won't bother with this myself.

Clarification, please, on the tail-end of that shortcut?  This might of course just be my display that's unclear.  Is that "-t<space>0<space>1"?  Or which maybe-spaces that I think I'm seeing shouldn't be spaces?
Thanks and best,
Mike
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 03:52:58 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 03:59:39 AM »
Is that "-t<space>0<space>1"?  

it's -t<space>01... ;)

i have just tried it.. :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 04:05:53 AM by shgoh »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 07:55:39 AM »
it's -t<space>01... ;)

i have just tried it.. :)

Thanks, shgoh -- guess nothing beats hands-on experimenting, right?  ;)
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 07:12:03 PM »
Thanks, shgoh -- guess nothing beats hands-on experimenting, right?  ;)

u bet... ;)

shgoh

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 04:31:53 PM »
by any chance..anyone knows a speedy reboot method?... ;D