Author Topic: IE won't load a site with Avast running  (Read 23440 times)

RHK

IE won't load a site with Avast running
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »
Using Avast 4.7 Home and IE7. Just recently, IE7 will no longer load any site if Avast is running. If I try to load a site, the progress bar sticks about half way. Firefox is fine. If I suspend On-Access Protection, IE will load the site.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: IE won't load a site with Avast running
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »
If Firefox works... maybe it's not a firewall trouble.
By the way, which one do you use?
Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
Any other security programs that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

RHK

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »
If Firefox works... maybe it's not a firewall trouble.
By the way, which one do you use?
Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?

Using XP.  I have XP firewall. The key point though is that IE works if Avast is turned off. Which is why I'm presuming the issue is with Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »
I bet on something interfering... it won't be possible just an issue between avast and IE... tons of users will be complaining...

RHK

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:54:46 PM »
1st replier asked if I had had other AV in the past. I have had AVG, but Avast replaced it a long time ago (several months at least). The problem has only arisen in the past week. The progress bar stops halfway and the Avast icon doesn't spin. If I then turn off on-access protection, I still can't access any site. But if I exit IE and reopen it, I then can. I am posting with IE7 now, but with Avast suspended.

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:17:42 PM »
I think we definitely have a bug here with the web shield. Last night at home some web pages did not load. I had to keep refreshing. I updated my work laptop today from 4.7 to 4.8 and same thing. Every once in awhile a page does not load. Firefox says error and I have to click try again.

pmccork

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »
I'm having the same issue.  After upgrading to 4.8, IE or Firefox will not open any sites unless I disable Avast.  Any other info I can provide?  thnx!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »
This is most likely a case of your firewall not recognizing the update to avast and blocking the Webshield.

If you are using a firewall then please remove the permissions for avast (ashWebSv.exe) and allow for them to be requested again.

pmccork

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
This is most likely a case of your firewall not recognizing the update to avast and blocking the Webshield.

If you are using a firewall then please remove the permissions for avast (ashWebSv.exe) and allow for them to be requested again.

had to get to work, will try tonite and update then, thnx!

pmccork

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 02:18:55 AM »
It's all good!  thanks alanrf!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 02:43:02 AM »
You're welcome - glad you are back to normal running.

RHK

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 11:29:29 AM »
I didn't have an exception in XP Firewall for Avast. So I created one and IE works.

Curious, though that it was only IE affected, not Firefox or Opera.

balrog

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 12:30:02 AM »
I had the same problems (IE7 did not load any site) after upgrading to Avast 4.8. My PC configuration:
Windows XP Pro with the latest updates - IE7 - AVAST4.8 - ZONE ALARM 6.1.744.001
Removing in Zone Alarm every AVAST Program allowing for them automatically to be renewed did not work!
Either disabling Web Protection or disabling Zone Alarm did allow IE7 to connect to the internet, also without modifying anything on the Windows Firewall
I then decided to upgrade to the latest release of Zone Alarm 7.0.470.00 and now everything works fine! :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »
RHK, strange that Windows Firewall just control inbound connections and avast does not need them...
balrog, thanks for the report. Seems some glitch between avast and the old ZA.

FranckM

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
Hello,

I'm also having a problem with WebShield on my computer since update. Configuration is WinXP SP2 + latest Microsoft updates + Spybot v1.5 up to date and AVAST 4.8.

If I activate Webshield, then I'm not able to connect to any website neither with IE 7 nor with Firefox.
The behaviour is the same even if WinXP firewall is not activated.

If I shut down the Avast Webshield, then I'm able to access all websites... I tried to remove and install avast again but problem remains.
This problem seems to be encountered by some of Avast users but I must say I had no other antivirus software installed in the past (perhaps Symantec evaluation version when I bought the computer but I don't remember because I uninstalled all evalaution versions of all softwares).

From my point of view, it looks like the redirection through AVAST for IE/Firefox or in the way is not working. Others protocols are working fine (POP, SMTP, PING, ...). As behaviour is the same with/without XP firewall, I think that a setting for the http stream's redirection is not working, perhaps something wrong in the registry or something like this.

I tried to activate Webshield log but nothing is written into the file when browsing...
Is it a specific key describing redirection I can search in the registry ?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 05:13:51 PM by FranckM »