Author Topic: IE won't load a site with Avast running  (Read 23445 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: IE won't load a site with Avast running
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 05:50:32 PM »
Perhaps Symantec evaluation version when I bought the computer but I don't remember because I uninstalled all evalaution versions of all softwares
1) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Boot.
2) Then install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

I tried to activate Webshield log but nothing is written into the file when browsing...
Activate logging in WebShield:
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP\Vista (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.
The best things in life are free.

FranckM

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 10:48:02 AM »
Ok, the result of log files after browsing different websites (avast, Microsoft, Windows update,...) is :

AshWebSv.log content :
06/04/2008 10:43:06,"","","",HTTP Status: -1,0,0,0,0,0,0,Unknown process,PID: 0,CON: 127.0.0.1:12080->127.0.0.1:1158 <--> :0->:0,SEQ: 0

AshWebSv.ws is empty

I'll try to use Norton removal tool and update this thread.

>> I just try Norton Removal Tool + repair and it still doesn't work. The only way is to disable WebShield. Does the log help ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:02:39 AM by FranckM »

FranckM

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 09:04:54 AM »
I think this problem has been encountered by several people with different posts but with different subject names. It would be great to investigate this issue carefully.

Regards
Franck

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »
FranckM,

forgive me if you have already told us but are you using a firewall?  If you are which one?

This problem is almost always a case of the firewall blocking network access to the Webshield component ashServ.exe. 

It it essential that this be granted network access in the firewall for the Webshield to work.  Even when this has been done previously some firewalls are not good at recognizing a program update and start to block ashServ.exe rather than asking again for renewed permission. 

If you have a firewall where you have previously granted permission to avast modules then please remove those permissions for avast and allow them to be requested again. 

FranckM

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
I'm not using any firewall on my computer. Neither WinXP one nor others. I removed previous Norton and used Removal tool.
The only software I have on this computer is SpyBot S&D v1.5

Firewalls are external to computer because they are integrated into routers, so I assume it doesn't disturb Webshield.

gopha

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »
I'm also having the same problem and the issue just started to happen within the last day. I cannot load websites at all. However, I could download/send email, use Steam, etc.

We have two computers: Windows XP Home SP2 and Windows Vista Home Premium. This problem seems to only be limited to the Vista computer. I think that it might eventually affect the XP computer which is using the Finnish version of Avast Home Anti-virus. It is a less-often used computer. The Vista comp is using the english version of Avast Home Anti-virus.

We are not using software firewalls on either computer, only an external firewall on a Linksys Router.

Uninstalling the program, yesterday, fixed the browser issue, so I reinstalled it. My wife informed me that this morning she could not surf the internet with either browser. She turned off the program and both browsers worked again.

I can try to forward a port for ashServ.exe but I don't think the firewall is the problem here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:10:05 AM by gopha »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »
It may be worth trying a "Repair" function of avast (Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Avast Anyivirus Change/Remove > Select "Repair" in the list of options for avast).

If that does not help then rather than leaving yourselves exposed by turning off avast completely it should be possible to avoid the problem while it is being researched by terminating the Webshield only.  That way your browsing will not be intercepted at all by avast and you will still have the other protections (particularly the Standard Shield).

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »
Just an extra question - are either of you using any proxy connection to the Internet or any kind of "network accelerator or speed-up" function on your systems?

FranckM

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »
Nothing specific on this side.

But it can also be something I just read on another website : I have a VPN client with Safenet installed.
I don't want to remove it because I do not have time to install it again but it add a "deterministic network enhancer" element in the network properties.

Do you think it can be a problem ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
I have a VPN client with Safenet installed.
Do you think it can be a problem ?
Does it use a specific proxy (server address & port)?
The best things in life are free.

FranckM

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
I don't know but I think not. The VPN is not activated when I'am browsing like I do now writing this post or visiting some website for personal interest.

I can do some more tests but I don't know what I have to check. How can I know if IE/Firefox are routed through a proxy or something like this if no settings apears in the options menu of the software.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »
quote from the "overview" of the Safenet website ...

SSL acceleration devices providing fast and secure online transactions

I suspect that the only way that Safenet can do this is by placing an intercept on http transactions in exactly the same way as avast does.  Sometimes we have seen that these intercepts do not play well together.  Most of these intercepts would be placed at startup (whether or not you are actually using the software).

Let me ask ... did avast recently update on your system from 4.7 to 4.8? 

If so has this problem become apparent since the update ... and it was not a problem you saw with 4.7?

And finally can I assume Safenet was installed along with avast 4.7? 

I am not suggesting that something in 4.8 is causing the problem ... just the fact that there was potentially a disturbance to the order in which avast and Safenet might be placing their intercepts that is uncovering a problem. 

I need to add that this is all speculation of my part - perhaps the avast team have encountered Safenet before.

gopha

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 07:13:28 AM »
Just an extra question - are either of you using any proxy connection to the Internet or any kind of "network accelerator or speed-up" function on your systems?

Nope.

I'll try the 'repair' trick today. I forgot all about this issue when I got home from work yesterday. ;D

FranckM

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 09:06:33 AM »
AlanRF :

It's true regarding the fact I was using previously AVAST 4.7 with SafeNet and hadn't any problem.

The computer I'm using was working fine before update from 4.7 to 4.8.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 10:58:38 AM »
FranckM,

my preferred suggestion is to ask you to uninstall avast and your Safenet installation, install avast again and then install Safenet again.  I am reluctant to do so because we have not proved my hypothesis and, to be honest, I do not think a software user should have to think about the order in which software is installed (although in the real world we may not be able to avoid this).

Which is your preferred browser?

Let me give some thought and testing to a possible option for you of confirming my suspicion that could also provide a workaround that avoids the software removal and re-installation path.   If I can suggest it then it will be up to you if you wish to try it (but unless it is fairly simple I will not offer it). 

I should be clear that I am not a member of the avast team and that any options I may suggest are just those of a fellow avast user.