Author Topic: Windows Mail S-L-O-W  (Read 2190 times)

t-bonez

Windows Mail S-L-O-W
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:57:13 PM »
I'm running Windows Mail (with Avast Home) and finding Windows Mail very slow (it hangs often for 5 seconds or more doing various tasks).  I did a bit of research and found this:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72674-windows-mail-slow.html

It says:  "Make sure your antivirus or anti-spyware/adware programs have all of their email scanning options turned off." The site recommends Avast but says "These work with Vista x32 or x64 with no problems, but will need to have their email scanning options
turned off as well."

Two questions:  Does this not leave me vulnerable to viruses etc?? EXACTLY what should my Avast settings be ...Internet mail provider "Off"? Outlook provider "Off"?

Thanks in advance, I did look around the postings here but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Cheers,

Bonez

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Mail S-L-O-W
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:05:24 PM »
Do you trust a site that says... oh, well, turn off your antivirus...
Ridiculous... worse, dangerous.
Windows Mail could be slow, but is it working for you?
Do you want to try another thing? Try Thunderbird.
The best things in life are free.

t-bonez

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:50:36 PM »
I only "trust" that is is a microsoft site,  thus you'd think...well...that they are clueless?(*smiles*)  That's why I 'came here'...sounded daft!

No, Windows mail is not working for me... on so many levels.  It hangs, my contacts are a mess...

Now I just need to research how to migrate my existing e-mail messages and contacts to Thunderbird and I'll be set.

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »
Now I just need to research how to migrate my existing e-mail messages and contacts to Thunderbird and I'll be set.
I never found... Thunderbird does not support Windows Mail importation.
The best things in life are free.