Author Topic: Spamihilator and avast!  (Read 80723 times)

CoJo

I really appreciate your posting the screenshot for me, bbfi! it will make things easier for me, my friend.

Cojo, maybe next time I'll do the same but I thought that 'theory' is good too and we can learn and 'imagine', think like this stupid machine called computer  ;D

Technical, you did absolutely wonderful! And I deeply appreciate it.
I'm just having one of those days where my brain isn't working right ;D

cojo

bbfi

your settings: Pop3ServerName&UserName#127.0.0.1:port
my settings: localhost&UserName#Pop3ServerName

I tried your way, Technical, and it works fine for me too. :o

What I'd like to know is which way would the email get scanned by Spamihilator first, then by Avast. I believe that this would be important to know. For instance, if the email is scanned by Avast first, wouldn't the scanned by Avast notification appear on the email and then be scanned by Spamihilator which would scan the notification words? This would lead to confusion to the Learning Filter if my concerns are correct. Right?

In the meantime, CoJo, either way works, but we have to determine which way is best. ::)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 01:07:39 AM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
your settings: Pop3ServerName&UserName#127.0.0.1:port
my settings: localhost&UserName#Pop3ServerName

I tried your way, Technical, and it works fine for me too. :o

What I'd like to know is which way would the email get scanned by Spamihilator first, then by Avast. I believe that this would be important to know. For instance, if the email is scanned by Avast first, wouldn't the scanned by Avast notification appear on the email and then be scanned by Spamihilator which would scan the notification words? This would lead to confusion to the Learning Filter if my concerns are correct. Right?

In the meantime, CoJo, either way works, but we have to determine which way is best. ::)

Maybe someone from Alwil could help us on this!?  ::)
I would be pleased to be 'sure' about what happens when I receive an email...

The only I know is that Spamihilator could detect the avast! notes into the message body (or better at the header) and if it is infected and/or suspect it could be 'deleted' (Recycle bin) by Spamihilator.  8)
The best things in life are free.

bbfi

Technical,

I have been using your configuration for one day now. Before that I had used my configuration for about 10 days. I am doing my own testing and I used the spami-wordlist-extractor and viewed both the good.spamihilator and bad.spamihilator word lists.

Using my configuration for 10 days, I had these results for certain words that Avast writes to the email -

Good Words List
Avast - 142
Alwil - 67
VPS - 21
Bad Words List
Avast - 17
Alwil - 2
VPS - 6

Using your configuration for 1 day, I had these results for certain words -

Good Words List
Avast - 74
Alwil - 32
VPS - 28
Bad Words List
Avast - 287
Alwil - 120
VPS - 116

So it appears to me that your configuration is causing Spamihilator's Learning Filter to add these Avast words to it good and bad lists therefore messing up the filter. Do you see it that way too?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
bbfi, as I said, my strategy is not based on spam-words but in white and black lists... I did not miss avast! emails and kill the undesired ones. How did you get that words lists?

bbfi

I downloaded the spami-wordlist-extractor which is available at http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1464&sid=98ec8419dcce4c1c88c920cc048921a1

When you run it, the extractor creates two files - bad_wordlist.txt and good_wordlist.txt.  These can be viewed in any text editor and will show every word that the Learning Filter catches and will show how many times each word has been registered.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:14:56 AM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I'll download it and post the results later...
Thanks bbfi  ;D

bbfi

Technical,

I just got a post reply at the Spamihilator forum.

Hi!

There will be an Ignore-List in the next Spamihilator release. Please stay tuned!

Sincerely
Michel Krämer

I asked Michel a few questions about the Ignore List he will add and when he answers, I will post the info. ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 10:57:09 PM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I used the spami-wordlist-extractor and my both good.spamihilator and bad.spamihilator word lists are:

Good Words List
Avast - 4579
Alwil - 1159
VPS - 80

Bad Words List
Avast - 235
Alwil - 0
VPS - 0

Except for the work avast (maybe because the note added at the end of the message body) it appears that my configuration is not causing Spamihilator's Learning Filter to add these Avast words both into good and bad lists. Therefore it does not seem to mess up the filter.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Technical,

I just got a post reply at the Spamihilator forum.
There will be an Ignore-List in the next Spamihilator release. Please stay tuned!

Sincerely
Michel Krämer

Yeah, Michel is that great. It will be a very good feature.
Spamihilator is becoming better and better.
My average this month is more than 99,5%.
This week, for instance, I have not even just one spam email reaching my inbox!  :D

bbfi

Technical,

I have more info about what the Ignore List will be like. See the post http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13878 at the Spamihilator forum.

Spamihilator and Avast work great together. The Netsky virus is running wild right now and I get about 50 per day but my trusted Avast finds each one and warns me and deletes them as Spamihilator trashes the spams. They make a good team together to keep my computer clean of these types of garbage. ;D

I want to thank you for mentioning how much you like Spamihilator when I was using a different program. With the updated version and Michel's promise to include the ignore list, Spamihilator is becoming an almost perfect spam killer. ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 05:47:27 PM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I want to thank you for mentioning how much you like Spamihilator when I was using a different program. With the updated version and Michel's promise to include the ignore list, Spamihilator is becoming an almost perfect spam killer. ;)

You're wellcome. By the way, I'm the Portuguese translator of Spamihilator. If you want, you can post this in that forum (http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13878). I cannot understand, reading that forum, if avast! is scanning the email before or Spamihilator processes the message before sending it to avast!

Cojo, did you install Spamihilator and its plugins?

CoJo

You're wellcome. By the way, I'm the Portuguese translator of Spamihilator. If you want, you can post this in that forum (http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13878). I cannot understand, reading that forum, if avast! is scanning the email before or Spamihilator processes the message before sending it to avast!

Cojo, did you install Spamihilator and its plugins?

:-[
I'm still reading...
sigh...I'm so afraid of doing something to this Dell now that it has been repaired so I am taking my time reading everything before I take any steps to install.
sorry that I am such a chicken...

cojo

bbfi

CoJo,

When you feel brave enough, we'll be here for you and your questions. ;)

BTW - You are no chicken, just look at your Avatar. That's a dove. ;D

bbfi

Technical,

By the way, I'm the Portuguese translator of Spamihilator. If you want, you can post this in that forum

Okay, it's done. See http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2520. ;D