Author Topic: Spamihilator and avast!  (Read 80564 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thanks bbfi...
Cojo, I think we can guide you faster than reading all the stuffs. Spamihilator won't bring you so much troubles (on contrary, will save your time and help you). But I respect your speed and your wishes. You know, when you need, call for us.  8)
The best things in life are free.

CoJo

CoJo,

When you feel brave enough, we'll be here for you and your questions. ;)

BTW - You are no chicken, just look at your Avatar. That's a dove. ;D

;D  you are right! I must ask Sasha for a new avatar...
something for a tough old bird who is afraid of a machine!!  ;)

sigh...

cojo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Cojo, are you working with Spamihilator and avast or not?
Do you need any help?

Btw, can you cook us some cookies for the night?  ;D

bbfi

Technical and other Spamihilator users,

New update is available.

Changes in 0.9.8 with Patch 2 (0.9.8.2)

* A lot of bugs fixed
* Several memory leaks closed
* This update is recommended for all users who have problems with Spamihilator's stability

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Technical and other Spamihilator users,

New update is available.

Changes in 0.9.8 with Patch 2 (0.9.8.2)

* A lot of bugs fixed
* Several memory leaks closed
* This update is recommended for all users who have problems with Spamihilator's stability

Thanks bbfi, I'm downloading right now...
Edit: I cannot download the file, the server is not reached... Do you know why?

Btw, how is your spam killing average? Did Spamihilator learned anything after sometime?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 05:22:07 AM by Technical »

bbfi

Technical,

I had the same problem with the link. Try downloading from the program itself. Go to Settings, General Settings, Check Now. It worked for me. ;)

Spamihilator is getting much smarter. I am also building my Black List which is improving the performance also. I've been averaging about 101 spams per day and maybe 4 mistakes (usually on the spam side, once in a while there is a false positive, but adding the sender to my Friends List takes care of that problem). :D

techie101

Just a thought....

If you guys want to have less headaches and bugs....
I would recommend Mail Washer or K-9.

Of the two, K9 is easier to set up, more stable than Spamhilator and does not act as a proxy but more a line filter with Bayesian filtering which means it "learns".

Normally I would not have said anything since I believe "to each their own", but Spamhilator is very over-rated and takes a lot of careful configuration with Avast.

Techie

bbfi

Hi Techie,

Thanks for the recommendations. However, Spamihilator is the one I'm sticking with. Over the years, I've tried just about every free spam checker. The three I recommend are Spamihilator, SpamPal, and G-Lock SpamCombat. ;)

but Spamihilator is very over-rated and takes a lot of careful configuration with Avast.
Actually, Spamihilator is easy to configure with Avast. No worse than any other spam checker. ;)

If I were to use an inline filter type spam checker, I would use G-Lock SpamCombat which I have tried and like a lot. It is free for any amount of accounts, whereas Mail Washer is not. I have tried K-9, but not particularly fond of it. ::)

Inline checkers bring emails directly to your computer, but proxy spam checkers check the emails and delete spam before they are downloaded. I prefer this type of checking. Also, no viruses or worms are downloaded either. Avast kills them when Spamihilator checks them, so no download occurs. ;D

After about a month, Spamihilator is pretty accurate also. Probably around 98% and it improves every day. The program keeps getting better as Michel (the developer) updates it. ;D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 06:19:03 PM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Except for the last update that I cannot reach by no way - I cannot see the web page either!?!  :( - I fully agree with bbfi. I think there is no comparison between Spamihilator and K9. They use different methods but Spamihilator is better in my opinion: features, stability, avoid unnecessary downloads, etc.  ;)

Oh, I was forgotting, Spamihilator uses Bayesian filtering and can learn too  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 05:18:23 AM by Technical »

techie101

bbfi, Technical,

You guys made a good case for Spamhilator.
I might have to try it myself!

Thanks for the evaluation.

Techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Now I'm sad... I cannot even reach the website (www.spamihilator.com)... What did I do wrong? I do not change any browser setting  :'(  :'(

techie101

First, try some other webpages to see what happens. If you can connect, then continue.....

Secondly, recheck you browser settings under Security.
Make sure they have not changed.

Thirdly, Shut down Spamhilitor itself and then try the site.  The Bayersian filtering may have "learned" that there are ads on the page and shut you out.
Now that would be funny!  :D

Lastly, contact your ISP and check the DNS settings.

Let me know.

Techie
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 06:48:55 AM by Techie101 »

bbfi

Their website was down for a while on the 6th.  It's working today on the 7th.  No need to worry about your settings.  :D

I'll get back to you all later.  Have some afternoon appointments.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Their website was down for a while on the 6th.  It's working today on the 7th.  No need to worry about your settings.  :D

I'll get back to you all later.  Have some afternoon appointments.  ;)

For me, I cannot get in contact with that site...  >:(
I did not change any security setting and all other sites are reached, only spamihilator is blocked  :(

bbfi

Wow, that is weird. I just tried again and no problems at http://www.spamihilator.com/.

Could something have been changed without you knowing it on your computer. Perhaps your browser or Zone Alarm? ???

Does the update check in Spamihilator work?