Author Topic: Spamihilator and avast!  (Read 80558 times)

techie101

Technical,

bbfi seems to think as I do.  Something changed in your computer that you are not yet aware of.  I suspect a firewall change, or Spamhiliator itself.

Start shutting Fw, blockers , filters and such down until you contact the site, then backtrack.

I just went to the site again with no problem.

Techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Technical,

bbfi seems to think as I do.  Something changed in your computer that you are not yet aware of.  I suspect a firewall change, or Spamhiliator itself.

Start shutting Fw, blockers , filters and such down until you contact the site, then backtrack.

I just went to the site again with no problem.

Techie

Definetively not. I do not change anything. I do not allow any program/person to change anything...

Now I can get into their site. That was a mistery. I won't loose more time with that. Sorry to make you loose. Computerland is not deterministic  8)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

Technical,

Glad it is working.  Yes, a mystery at that.  Could have just been coincidence that when we tried it was up and working.  I did have trouble at first getting onto the site.  Could have been an overloaded server and since I keep at it, I managed to "slip" in.

No trouble at all.  Helping you is what we are here for.  You are a peer and friend.  Your problem became ours.

Techie101

bbfi

No trouble at all Technical.  ;)

I have some news for you and other Spamihilator users.  New version available.  Download link is www.spamihilator.com/updates/spamihilator_0_9_8_patch3.exe

Changes in 0.9.8 with Patch 3 (0.9.8.3)

* Closing the connection works without problems now
    * Spamihilator is now even faster
    * OpenSSL-Libraries (1) updated to latest version (0.9.7d)
    * Minor display errors fixed

Also, a new plugin called S_P_A_C_E Filter is available.  

Eliminates e-mails containing spaced-out words like `v 1.a g-r a` or `v.i c.0~d.i_n`, etc. If there are five or more single alphabetic characters (including non-English characters such as ä,ß,è,î,õ,û, etc) separated by punctuation or spaces, then the mail will be labeled as spam and will NOT be sent to the learning filter.

It is downloaded at http://rubberchickenpoetry.com/Spamihilator/S_P_A_C_E_Filter_0_1_0.exe

Enjoy.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thanks bbfi, I already got the two downloads.
I tryed to register myself at the English forum of Spamihilator. I tried to post there but, wow, it's too complicated for me to post there, even after you loggin you must inform your name, the title of the post... I cannot understand german buttons. Sorry, it was a mess  :(

bbfi

Ah, was that you that posted as Guest at my post of "Portuguese Translation of Spamihilator = Technical"? ::)

I tried to post there but, wow, it's too complicated for me to post there, even after you loggin you must inform your name, the title of the post... I cannot understand german buttons. Sorry, it was a mess

Did you go to the English forum or have the German part translated? If you use http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22, the buttons and instructions are in English. It did take me some time to figure out how to post also. ::)

Have you tried the S_P_A_C_E Filter? It is catching about 15 spams a day for me. I put it in 4th place for priorities after Whitestring filter, Newsletter plugin, and Empty Mail filter. ;)

BTW - HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I'm in a notebook now, without Spamihilator... But I put it in the 5 or 6th place too.

I'll try the English forum of it. How do we post as a normal user and not a guest there?

Sorry, the link you posted is shown in German not in English (except some words that seem to be the same in both languages...)  :(

bbfi

Technical,

I know what the problem is now. I went to the page and mine is in English. So I logged off and it was in German. :o

Therefore, you have to register and set the language to English, then login. Click the register button (the one I show with the arrow in my picture).

You will see at the top left of the register page in German -

Benutzername: * (fill in your user name)
E-Mail-Adresse: * (fill in your email address)
Passwort: * (fill in your password)
Passwort bestätigen: * (fill in your password again)

These fields have to be filled in, then go down about three quarters of the page and find Board-Sprache:. Change the language to English.

Go to bottom of page and click the button that says Absenden for Submit.

Wait a few seconds until the main forum page comes up. You will notice that the top of the page is now in English. If you want to add more info to your profile, just click the button Profile and add your info (the page is now in English).

Now you can login and when you post, you will no longer be a Guest.   ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
I have one very simple solution to the whole thing, change to:

MailWasher Pro.

No settings to worry about and it checks the mail for you before u download it from your server.
Actually, the settings are very simple. Even i had no problems with them.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

bbfi

Thanks but I tried the free version a while back, but it is no good now for me since it does not do multiple accounts.  :(

I do not want to pay for a spam checker, like MailWasher Pro, when there are plenty of free ones available.   ::)  We run a nonprofit organization, so we try to use only freeware to keep expenses down.   ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thanks but I tried the free version a while back, but it is no good now for me since it does not do multiple accounts.  :(

I do not want to pay for a spam checker, like MailWasher Pro, when there are plenty of free ones available.   ::)  We run a nonprofit organization, so we try to use only freeware to keep expenses down.   ;)

I agree with you. We love freeware, Spamihilator does the job for multiple email accounts.  ;)

seand

Technical,

To answer your question:
Can you teach us how to configurate Spamihilator and avast in a chain...
I mean: I want 'first' getting rid of spam and then scan the other messages (the ones really downloaded) with avast.

The following steps should work for most antispam proxies including Spamihilator, Spampal and PopFile etc.

Step one:

Setup the antispam proxy as described in their documentation.  Most require you to change the pop server in your mail client from e.g mail.myisp.com to 127.0.0.1 (They all generally will not require you to change the pop server port from the default of 110)

Then each of them have instructions to change the pop user name by including the pop server name, for example if your pop user name was jsmith,  Spamihilator  requires that you change it to mail.myisp.com&jsmith or Spampal would request the change to jsmith@mail.myisp.com

Once you have setup your mail client to work with your favourite antispam proxy (Spamihilator , Spampal etc) and have tested that it all works, putting avast! in the chain is relatively simple particularily if you want the spamfilter to be the first to filter the mail and then have avast filter it after that.

Edit the avast4.ini file and replace/modify the following lines in the [MailScanner] section to these values:

[MailScanner]
PopListen=127.0.0.1:8110
Trust=127.0.0.1
DefaultPopServer=127.0.0.1:110

Now all you have to do is make one more change in your mail client.  Go back to the mail client configuration and change the pop server port from 110 to 8110

This will place avast first in the proxy chain where it is the last to get mail (after being filtered for spam and just before it reaches the inbox in your mail client.

The flow will be:

email client-->127.0.0.1 (port8110)avast--->127.0.0.1 (port110) Antispam proxy--->pop server (mail.myisp.com - port 110)

This setup will also support multiple accounts.

I hope all this makes sense. It should work for all the antispam proxies I mentioned above

Note:
It only gets complicated if you changed the mail client pop3 port to something other then 110 in order to have the antispam proxy work (if it is listening on some other port.)  If you did that just make sure when you edit the avasy4.ini file the you also replace the 110 at the end of the DefaultPopServer=127.0.0.1:110 line with the port number.  (You would still change the pop port in the mail client from whatever it is to 8110.)

Sean D

« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 09:27:38 AM by seand »

seand

One additional note based on what I learned in another thread today about chaining Mailmate and avast  (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4160 )

If you are using Outlook and have enabled the avast! Exchange/Outlook Provider all of the above is probably unnecessary!  Just set up the antspam proxy in the normal way and any mail downloaded by Outlook will be scanned anyway (after being scanned by the antispam filter).

Can someone verify that for me? (I stopped using Outlook and converted to Thunderbird early this year)

Ooops,

Sean D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Very thanks sands...
I'll do some tests in OE early next week... I'm in a hurry now  ;D

About MS Outlook, it makes sense but I do not use it. Let's wait for some 'beta' tester  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I received the following email:

I read your post on avast forum about spamihilator.
I'm the author of one of plugins.

You writed:

"The filter order suggested - until further revision - is:

[...]

1.   Attachment Filter (Protects your computer from some e-mail viruses. See settings bellow)
2.   Newsletter Plugin (Define newsletters that will never be treated as Spam. See settings bellow)

[...]

19.   Mystic-Signs-Filter (Filters mails containing strange charset in the subject-line)
20.   Whitestringfilter (Searches for "white" substrings in your mails.)

[...]"

You put learning filter on 4th place.

That's not a good idea. Learning filter estabilish if a mail is spam or not spam.
If it estabilish that it's not a spam mail other plugins will never used.

Put learning filter after plugin with a low false positive ration (like my plugin) :-)

Bye! Andrea

Andrea, which is your email plugin?
Thanks for teaching us about Spamihilator.