Author Topic: Boot time scan doesn't work...  (Read 3279 times)

fraseyboy

Boot time scan doesn't work...
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
My avast found a rootkit and told me that to do a boot time scan because it has also found a virus in the operating memory...

Is I scheduled the scan and rebooted... The windows XP loading screen appeared... Then it was just blank. Nothing.

I left it for a while, thinking it might be loading, but it was still blank about 15 minutes later. I clicked and mashed my keyboard and the blank screen went away and I was taken to the log in screen.

But I wanted a boot time scan :(

What to do? My Avast is up to date (4.8.1169) so I'm fine there.

rassel

Re: Boot time scan doesn't work...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
Suggest to:

1.Download this program here avast! antirootkit and run it.

2.Run a Thorough scan with avast( This might take a long time) or run a kaspersky online scanner over here   
  http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:06:31 AM by rassel »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »
When the screen was blank - was there a disk activity?
Might be possible that the boot-time scan was actually running, just wasn't "visible"...?

fraseyboy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 01:15:49 AM »
That is possible. I considered that. I'll try it and see after this thorough scan is done.

The rootkit finder didn't find any rootkits. I left the thorough scan going overnight but the stupid thing found a trojan and stopped, asking me what to do. Since i wasn't there, I couldnt do anything and when I checked it just now it was still on 2% because of that....

rassel

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:10:02 AM »
Yea avast scan is good but also bad because it will stop whenever it detect virus and it will not continue to scan other files until you did any action on it. So what I mean is bad to make a thorough scan and leave it overnight.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:18:58 PM »
That is possible. I considered that. I'll try it and see after this thorough scan is done.
Does the computer boot after that (I mean, waiting some hours to finish the boot time scanning)?
Is there any info in the report file (Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt)?
The best things in life are free.