Author Topic: System restore unresponsive...  (Read 14169 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
System restore unresponsive...
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »
Please, don't say me to ask for Microsoft help... it's useless... Each time I try to get help I receive nothing but obvious answers that does not solve anything...

Ok, here is the problem:
1. I create a System Restore point.
2. After it finish, I try to restore the computer to that point. Start the Windows Restore feature.
3. The computer logoff and the restoration starts.
4. The screen stop at 'System Restore is restoring the Registry' and stays there forever.
5. At a lot of time (more than 30 minutes...) I have to power off and boot.
6. Next Windows logon comes with the message of Restore failure.

Some technicians said that I need to stop antivirus.
Could it be true?

Right now, I know that System Restore is not working... when I'll need it, it will fail, for sure...
Oh, I've tested 'old' restore points too. Same result.

Thanks for any help, specially from the programmers.
The best things in life are free.

onlysomeone

Re: System restore unresponsive...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »
I'm no programmer, but ;):

I could imagine that some programs (like spybot SD) block the changes in the registry, because usually you have to "allow" these changes by confirming an appearing window - when you start the system restore it could be, that this window can't be shown any more, because (Microsoft) Windows is too fast with starting the restore process...

Some technicians said that I need to stop antivirus.
Could it be true?
i think yes.

lortdadu

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »
Hope these are going to help you with this:

Method 1: Make sure that the System Restore service is running
To do this, use one of the following methods: • Look in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, and then type compmgmt.msc in the Open box, and then press Enter.
2. Expand Services, and then click System Restore Services..

If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, click Start on the toolbar to start it.

• Open a Command Prompt window. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type CMD in the Open box, and then press Enter.
2. Type Net Start at the command prompt to make sure that the System Restore Service is up and is running.

If the System Restore Service is not listed, type net start "System Restore Service", and then press Enter.

Method 2: Make sure that System Restore is enabled on the drives where you want System Restore enabled
To do this follow these steps: 1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab. 
3. If the System Restore is enabled, the Status column of a drive will show Monitoring.
If not, you can clear to clear the Turn off System Restore on all drives, and then click OK to enable it.

Method 3: Make sure that you have sufficient disk space on all the drives where System Restore is enabled
To do this, follow these steps: 1. To check for free disk space, click Start, click Run, type diskmgmt.msc and then press Enter. Look at each drive System Restore is monitoring for free space. 
2. If the free space on any partition system restore is monitoring falls lower than 50 MB, System Restore will suspend and remove all restore points to free disk space. You should have already received a low free disk space message by now. System Restore will resume monitoring when free disk space reaches 200 MB.

Note In most cases you do not have to have System Restore monitor Partitions/drives other than the one Windows is installed on. System Restore does not monitor data files. 

Method 4: View the event logs to investigate System Restore service errors
To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.msc /s in the Open box, and then press Enter.
2. Click the System category.
3. Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and then evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.

Method 5: Boot in safe mode and run the System Restore tool
To boot in safe mode follow these steps: 1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the screen goes blank for the first time, or after the BIOS post ends, start taping the F8 key repeatedly. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

If the menu does not appear, restart the computer and try again. 
2. Select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER. As files load they will scroll down the screen.

Note Safe mode uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows. The default Microsoft VGA driver is used for display at 640 X480 resolution and in 16 colors. 
3. Log on to the Administrator account. If a password was never set, leave the password blank and press ENTER or click the green arrow. 
4. Click No in the safe mode information screen to start System Restore. 
5. Select Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next to proceed to select a date with restore points available.
6. Click Next to begin restoring the system to a previous state. 

If you have Norton 2006, check this: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013

I'm off to bed now, hope some of these help you out!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
Personally I think that SR is too flaky to rely on it 100%. The last thing you want ti to absolutely need ti for it to fail.

I don't have it switched on and rely on my hard disk imaging software and my back-up of volitile data files, etc. That to date has never failed me (fingers crossed) in the many years I have been using it and it has hauled my a** out of the fire many times.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »
I could imagine that some programs (like spybot SD) block the changes in the registry, because usually you have to "allow" these changes by confirming an appearing window - when you start the system restore it could be, that this window can't be shown any more, because (Microsoft) Windows is too fast with starting the restore process...
I don't believe that Spybot has that power when Windows Restore is working. Besides, TeaTimer is disabled.

Method 1
I couldn't find any service in my Portuguese Brazilian system for System Restore. I've tried to check *any* possible translation. I'm on Vista, if that matters.

Method 2: Make sure that System Restore is enabled on the drives where you want System Restore enabled
It is, it starts...

Method 3: Make sure that you have sufficient disk space on all the drives where System Restore is enabled
I have 5-10 restore points available...

Note In most cases you do not have to have System Restore monitor Partitions/drives other than the one Windows is installed on. System Restore does not monitor data files. 
Only System and Programs partitions are monitored on my system, not data and documents.

Method 4: View the event logs to investigate System Restore service errors
To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.msc /s in the Open box, and then press Enter.
2. Click the System category.
3. Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and then evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.
I'll keep an eye on it...

Method 5: Boot in safe mode and run the System Restore tool
To boot in safe mode follow these steps: 1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the screen goes blank for the first time, or after the BIOS post ends, start taping the F8 key repeatedly. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
Tried this, but HP notebooks have an embedded restore feature that does not allow it to work properly, I can only restore to original manufacturer settings.

I'm off to bed now, hope some of these help you out!
Thanks for the support.

lortdadu

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 02:26:05 PM »
Damn... So it wasn't of any help? Now this is something very tricky... I've always gotten System Restore working with one of these methods but they didn't work for you? The only solution I could think now is that your Registry is damaged at a certain point.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »
Tech, did you try to Disable avast! self-defence module to see if that helps? I would also disable any antispyware apps.

As for Method 1 above, I couldn't find it either and I'm on Vista.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 05:40:03 PM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
Tech, did you try to Disable avast! self-defence module to see if that helps?
I'll try later.

I would also disable any antispyware apps.
I have none on-access besides avast itself.

lortdadu

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
As for Method 1 above, I couldn't find it either and I'm on Vista.

Oh, you two are on Vista. I'm sorry about that, I wrote the guide as I thought you were running Windows XP as I still am running Windows XP as my operating system.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »
One more thing, Did you try The System File Checker tool (sfc/scannow), Maybe one of the system files is corrupt.

At lortdadu, No need to apologize, You were just trying to help.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:20:16 PM by marc57 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »
Thanks Marc... good shot, worked like a charm.

One more thing, Did you try The System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow), Maybe one of the system files is corrupt.
It was not necessary, although I'm running it now just in case...

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »
Thanks Marc... good shot, worked like a charm

Hey Tech, As much as you've helped me on these forums I'm just glad I could help you a little.