Author Topic: The problem need to be solve by avast mac edition  (Read 7892 times)

steven.chien

The problem need to be solve by avast mac edition
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:48:51 AM »
I was first attracted to Avast Windows Edition for it's strong function and FREE!, later on , I have moved to a Mac and I know that Avast offer Mac Edition so I tried to install. However, I experienced few problems that will make normal users not using avast again. Firstly, the 400.vps was not installed in the "library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast" so that the app could not luanch, I think this is a very serious problem for normal users without deep computer knowledge. I don't think I am very good at system admin, but I have time to explore the system, so I fixed it, however, I think 99% of normal users will just "leave it". and avast will lose a costumer. After fixing the 400.vps, it came with another problem, I am using the 56K internet connection, after i clicked the update button, it got no respond. I thought that was my first time to use so the file must be huge, so I downloaded form the library's broadband connection and updated the app, however, the next day, I click the button again, i can not finished the update in 20min! I posted the problem in this forum and got a reply " incremental update is not ready for mac edition", I got shocked! how I am going to download a >10MB file every day??
So.. the above is my opinion to Avast mac edition and i hope the next edition will be more user friendly and i am looking for it!
Finally i got a question, avast mac use the same 400.vps as windows, so, its that file also contain mac virus definition and windows virus definition, will also trojen and other spyware included(mac)?
Thanks a lot!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: The problem need to be solve by avast mac edition
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »
I was first attracted to Avast Windows Edition for it's strong function and FREE!, later on , I have moved to a Mac and I know that Avast offer Mac Edition so I tried to install.
Unfortunatelly, there isn't a free Mac version.

I posted the problem in this forum and got a reply " incremental update is not ready for mac edition", I got shocked! how I am going to download a >10MB file every day??
Mac updates does not need to be updated every day... there are very few infections for Mac. But, indeed, it's a recent version of avast and it does not offer incremental udpates for Mac (yet).
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
Finally i got a question, avast mac use the same 400.vps as windows, so, its that file also contain mac virus definition and windows virus definition, will also trojen and other spyware included(mac)? /quote]
Yes, The 400.vps file contains the definitions for linux/Unix/Mac OS and windows viruses
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
>however, I think 99% of normal users will just "leave it". and avast will lose a costumer.

this flaw is related to the failing hardlink which was improperly used for linking the VPS when the engine starts for the first time. It affects only users with different physical FSs on their /Users mountpoint. The solution was given on the forum and this flaw will be fixed in next version.

>incremental update is not ready for mac edition", I got shocked! how I am going to download a >10MB file every day??

It's not necessary to upgrade every day, on the MacOS, because there's still quite low amount of ITW malware. To be honest, 10MB isn't that much nowadays, but indeed, incremental update will be necessary here, and will be added in the next version.

>Finally i got a question, avast mac use the same 400.vps as windows, so, its that file also contain mac virus definition and windows virus definition, will also trojen and other spyware included(mac)?

Yes, roughly said, avast for Mac can catch Windows malware, and also avast! for Windows is able to detect mac malware, because the database is shared.

Regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

meinrosebud

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
I was first attracted to Avast Windows Edition for it's strong function and FREE!, later on , I have moved to a Mac and I know that Avast offer Mac Edition so I tried to install.
Unfortunatelly, there isn't a free Mac version.

I posted the problem in this forum and got a reply " incremental update is not ready for mac edition", I got shocked! how I am going to download a >10MB file every day??
Mac updates does not need to be updated every day... there are very few infections for Mac. But, indeed, it's a recent version of avast and it does not offer incremental udpates for Mac (yet).

I have bought the Mac version of Avast because my data is worth protecting and I want to support Vlk and his work. I even waited until after the discount phase before buying.  8)