Author Topic: Avast file "ashAvast.exe" cannot be located?  (Read 3990 times)

kittyprrrs

Avast file "ashAvast.exe" cannot be located?
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:21:52 PM »
So, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Avast now 4 times (just today) after realizing that my little floating "a" in my system tray, was gone. I thought "odd". So, I ran task manager and sure enough, avast was not running. I checked everywhere and realized...it was gone.

I am clueless why this is happening. I ran "avast virus scanner" and nothing came up so, hopefully someone can help.

When I reinstalled Avast for the 4th time, I realized that, whenever I go into the avast folder....there seems to be files getting deleted. For a second, all the files are there then "poof" in the next second, where there SHOULD be files (in thumbnail view) there aren't. I now can't even install McAfee (which is what I switched from). What happened?

I'm using:
win xp sp2
1.5gb ram
Intel Pent 4
2.4GHZ CPU

let me know if you need anything else....also, if this has been answered, please send me the link as I could not even figure out how to title this as I had a few problems (listed below):

1. first the little blue "a" was missing from my system tray
2. i tried to launch the program only when attempted to launch, the "cannot find file, click browse"
3. when i clicked browse, i could not find the ashAvast.exe file to run (which i thought i have seen there just 2 days ago...but now is gone?)
4. i downloaded the setup file again, reinstalled, saw that the file was there. Rebooted. Gone again.
5. could not uninstall so i ran the aswclear.exe file, uninstall was sucessful
6. reinstalled, again, file was there rebooted and poof...gone again

i am fairly computer literate so i thought to look in the common folder...nothing....went into my local folder and looked for trojans/malware files that were hidden, only found a funky "m" folder containing a weird file that i deleted...so...i dunno what is wrong...i really like avast but, now am scared to visit the WWW without a virus scanner...hahahaha!

thanks for reading, you can even e-mail me too....with solutions or suggestions...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast file "ashAvast.exe" cannot be located?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »
There is a similar topic http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25822.0
Use this tool to scan your PC - http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/
Or any other antirootkit like Panda, AVG or BitDefender.

You probably still have an infection, probably a rootkit on your system that is killing avast.

See also:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26554.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25941.0
http://research.pandasoftware.com/blogs/research/archive/2006/12/14/Rootkit-cleaner.aspx
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try_blacklight.html

After running the above rootkit tools if nothing is found try these.
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode.
AVG anti-spyware or SUPERantispyware or Spyware Terminator.
The best things in life are free.

kittyprrrs

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
Actually...I just went ahead and reinstalled windows...there were way too many problems due to Verizon FiOS during install. They not only took it upon themselves to install some sort of "monitoring" program but also, a "contact customer service" program (*which DID NOT WORK!)...they left my firewall completely open (all ALL ports) and did not give me password to my router....

overall very happy with the speed of fios...just hate their incompetent tech guys! seriously, they need to "overhaul" their tech department! hahahahaha!

Thanks for the links though...please note...i did the full "malware removal steps" to the 'T' before posting the original...I don't normally just post random "please help"....

Oh...and the reason this ashAvast.exe was missing was because the virus was constantly overriding the virus software...actually...it ate a lot of my pertinent files for windows to run properly....hence the reinstall...thanks again tech!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »
Oh...and the reason this ashAvast.exe was missing was because the virus was constantly overriding the virus software...actually...it ate a lot of my pertinent files for windows to run properly....hence the reinstall...thanks again tech!
Exactly what I've supposed...
But, right now, is everything ok after you've reinstalled Windows?
Do you need further help?

kittyprrrs

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:47:36 AM »
i already have a post in here regarding the lovely "internet mail" scanner sending mail on my behalf...when I am not logged on to anything...hahahahah! aren't computers a JOY!? ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 02:02:09 AM »
The Internet Mail scanner isn't sending email on your behalf, it is doing what it should, scan all mail sent by your system on SMTP port 25. The internet mail provider uses a localhost proxy to intercept and scan email before passing it on, this is the activity you are seeing and not the internet mail provider generating and sending email.

Now if you aren't actually sending or receiving email at the time it is a good indication that you have either an undetected or hidden trojan spambot sending spam from your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sahara1229

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:59:17 AM »
It's AV killer virus which kills the process of avast,finds its file and deletes avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
It's AV killer virus which kills the process of avast,finds its file and deletes avast.
New 4.8 self-defense module will avoid this situation.