Author Topic: HTML:Malware-gen help plz :(  (Read 22501 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: HTML:Malware-gen help plz :(
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »
Hi crazy, that was an interesting read. What I understand, it's not your computer that's infected, but one on your network. The biggest problem would be how to find the infected computer.

Calypso, your problem would appear to be the same. DavidR already mentioned that the detections where coming from outside.

crazy

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 08:17:36 PM »
Calpypso, how are you coping?

Tech, i am running those checks, there are no viruses at all reported when i run the scan (avast, avast boot, spybot, adaware done so far) - but i kinda stopped on reading that page which indicates its a [serious] network infection.

Oldman, thanks for reading that page, as you are the expert (going by number of posts!), I have a question - so im having this problem only when i try to connect to the net. Avast is blocking the connection to the rogue website. The comp is becoming too slow and im having to reset it. When I restart and unplug the internet cable and run a scan, I'm fully clean. Does this confirm that Avast has prevented any possible damage? And say, i change my ISP to a non-infected ISP will it fix my problem?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »
Not really an expert, I just read alot.

As advised on that other thread, changing your isp may help, if it gets you off the network with the infected computer.

When you say avast is blocking access to the site, do you mean webshield?

crazy

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »
not sure if its webshield... it shows a dialog box with an option to 'Abort connection'

in fact there were perfect screenshots posted by calypso on page 1 which seem to be hosted at 
http://b.imagehost.org/download/0346/01_3.bmp and
http://b.imagehost.org/download/0353/Unt.bmp

Those are precisely what I see as well

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
Yep, that's webshield. It's blocking the file from entering your system. Since it doesn't moniter out going traffic, this would confirm that the "attack" is coming from the internet, not your computer. So, it would seem your system is clean. The slowdown you are experiencing is possibly from so many attacks from outside. As the other thread indicated, finding the infected computer and removing it is the answer.