Author Topic: Warnings, warnings everywhere...  (Read 8484 times)

Mr. Ekted

Warnings, warnings everywhere...
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »
Greetings Alwil Team.
Long time Avast (for Windows) user here. Thank you all so much for creating such a terrific piece of software - as the "computer guy" in the family, I am always installing it on peoples machines when their Norton quits updating lol..
Anyway, I was overjoyed to find out about the Mac version, but I am confused a bit by the scan results I have been getting. Avast has yet to find a virus on my machine, but I am getting an insane amount of warnings. Close to 2000 warnings for each scan. Is this normal? Some of the files that come up in the warnings are (or seem to be) system files that seem to be pretty important.. I would hope that some of the Avast for Mac users out there aren't deleting these, which could probably render their system inoperable (eventually). I guess Im just not sure of the consequences of deleting these files.. I'm not as familiar with system files on a Mac as I am on a Windows machine (Converted to Mac just >2 years ago) Also, on my most recent scan, "daemon died" and Avast wanted to restart and rescan. I chose to ignore it for the time being and try to get some help before trying again.
I'd like to hear some insight into this.. Why so many warnings? Will Avast for Mac eventually be updated so that a user does not have the ability to delete important system files? What are other users out there doing with these warnings? Are you deleting them, or ignoring them? Putting them in the virus chest? Why is Avast killing Daemon? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Warnings, warnings everywhere...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:38:04 AM »
What is the Warning?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Mr. Ekted

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
It wasn't one warning in particular. It was over 1900 warnings for files such as .trashes, avast, etc.. it gave me an err 13 (if I remember correctly) for all of them. There were other err's, as well but I don't remember the #'s.. After scanning, the program crashed and wanted to relaunch, and when I chose ignore, I was able to quit. It told me that "daemon died". The program is obviously much much different than the Windows version, and this is my first foray into virus scanning for the Mac. Any insight would be appreciated.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »
Err 13 is a access permission error. Its normal See here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32282.0

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

macuser9

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:52:19 AM »
nobody is explaining what to do with these err 13's when you get them.....

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
You don't need to do anything. Err 13 is just avast saying it does not have access to scan that file.