Author Topic: Standard Shield Blocker blocking directories because of their name  (Read 2888 times)

LorenzoC

I noticed this behaviour that IMHO is wrong: the blocker, once set to block writing of executable files, rises the pop up when ever you try to open a folder whose name is "xyz.com" (for example).

Now, nobody actually names a directory that way on purpose but there are software that creates directories upon installation with the name of a website, for example TopStyle the CSS/HTML editor creates this entry:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Dati applicazioni\Bradsoft.com"

As result, whenever I try to list the "\Dati applicazioni" content I got the pop-up from the blocker.

If possible, AVAST should be able to recognize directories from files.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard Shield Blocker blocking directories because of their name
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:16:46 PM »
Personally I don't use the blocking function as you can get a lot of noise.

I also don't believe you should use the period in folder names although it doesn't stop you if you do. Effectively your folder name with the .com looks like an executable file which .com files are, so you are seeing the implications of your action.

This obviously wouldn't happen for Bradsoft-com, is there any particular reason why you would want to have folders named in this way ?
Although as you say "TopStyle the CSS/HTML editor creates this" is it not possible to have it use a different folder name format/defaullt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LorenzoC

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
I don't want to sound rude but actually when I realized the blocker can't understand that is a directory and not an executable file I couldn't belive it.

Since the directory is created by a software installer in "silent mode" I can't change the name, otherwise I lose all the links. Besides this is the wrong approach. If Windows allows to name a directory "xyz.wkj" you can be 100% sure soon or later you will find an "xyz.com" directory, so that must be addressed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
Well I'm just an avast user like yourself and have no powers to change how Alwil process the blocker function, but by default your problem wouldn't arise as it isn't enabled by default. So hopefully one of the Alwil team will see this topic.

I just feel the benefit of the behaviour blocker just too noisy and throws up too many pop-ups if you have them all checked I have left them unchecked (default) for a litle over 4 years without problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LorenzoC

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
Uhm, I understand but then if the feature is only useless/annoying it is better to remove it.
The fact that it isn't enabled by default is not a good reason to have it if it doens't work. :)

I hope somebody from AVAST crew reads these posts, because in a couple of days I got 2 or 3 main flaws...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
Yes, we're aware that the Blocker feature is not very usable in the current form (especially the exe writing - and I don't mean this particular problem, but the fact that it's not possible to define exclusions, rules, ...)

The Behavior Blocker will be extended in the future, but I don't think it's going to change right now.