Author Topic: Memory Usage & Processors Question  (Read 3550 times)

3xist

Memory Usage & Processors Question
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:42:22 AM »
Windows Vista, Basic 32bit.
Avast! 4.8 Home Edition
Hey guys, 8)

I would like to know the processors Avast! is using and if the Memory is correct!  Right now, ashDisp.exe is using 780-820 K!!! Is this correct? if so... Wow!!!! :o thats awesome! ;D

and are there any other processors too?

Cheers,
3xist.  :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Memory Usage & Processors Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »
That is very little. (Almost too little.  ;))
The processes depends on how many providers you have running.
Mine (5 out of 7,) shows: ashDisp.exe 1,260Kb, ashMaisv.exe 1,692Kb, ashServ.exe 7.180Kb,ashWebsv.exe 6,568Kb, and aswUpdSv.exe 80Kb.
These change rapidly with activity, though.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
It isn't too little it is normal, the ashDisp.exe is only the avast icon and interface to the on-access providers and other avast options, simple user interface, program settings, etc. So I wouldn't expect it to be using much memory. Mine is currently at 2,676KB but I have been using it a lot this morning, it really is nothing to get concerned about (Firefox is currently consuming 54,900KB and my firewall 30,328, Explorer 39,902KB). It also depends on when you check the memory use and what you monitor it with.

The windows task manager isn't very good in that most people look at the Memory Usage and that can be wildly out, Vlk or Igor I thing suggest viewing the VM Size figure. Even then what you really should look at is how your system performs and not how much or little memory is being used, that is what memory is for and why you bought it by the Giga Byte ;D

The main work horses of avast are the ashServ.exe and ashWebSv.exe and these use the lions share of the memory used, the more active they are the more memory consumed, but it gets handed back as the activity subsides.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »
If I'm not wrong, memory usage and boot performance were improved in version 4.8.
The best things in life are free.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
Boot performance wasn't improved for me. :(  It's slower, about 6 mins.

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »
Boot performance wasn't improved for me. :(  It's slower, about 6 mins.

If your using ZAAS of course your boot up will be slow. I am using Avast 4.8 and Comodo 3.0 on both my laptop and desktop and my boot ups are under 40 secs. When is the last time you defragged your boot files. What happens when you do a diag start up having only Avast boot up.