Author Topic: update or not to update (for now)?  (Read 6869 times)

sanctuaryforever

update or not to update (for now)?
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
Should I allow for the update to be out a while before updating or is it stable enough to update to now?

also if I choose not to update yet will I still receive definitions or are the latest definitions only compatible with 4.8?

it is in no way your product that is putting me off its just I'm very cautious when it comes to major updates/changes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: update or not to update (for now)?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
Personally I would go ahead and do a manual update now rather than wait for the 7 day program update cycle.

There have been few issues raised during the beta trial and currently there are no major, show stoppers and the benefits of the ,self-protection, anti-rootkit and better anti-spyware handling. So to my mind the benefits far outweigh any small issues if any in any program update.

You would have to disable the program updates if you wanted to stop it, but the VPS updates should still work, but that wouldn't be indefinitely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »
Its only really if there was any major issues as I'm not so fussed if there are minor issues that will be remedied in the near future.

Does your settings get retained when the update integrates itself into the version you currently have?
Is there any major changes to how detections work (ie due to the new rootkit scanner etc) and the process of treating infections?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:30:22 PM »
Its only really if there was any major issues as I'm not so fussed if there are minor issues that will be remedied in the near future.
Well... there will be always minor issues... but the actual version is quite stable to not update to it. There are more advantages than cons (if any).

Does your settings get retained when the update integrates itself into the version you currently have?
Yes.

Is there any major changes to how detections work (ie due to the new rootkit scanner etc) and the process of treating infections?
I think we're better protected now against rootkits and spywares.
The best things in life are free.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »
So am I right in thinking that the user still has control over what is removed, how are rootkits handled can they be quarantined like other malware in case you remove something that is a false positive or is infact benign (not malicious)?

Is there any new differences between Pro and Home edition than what already existed?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »
So am I right in thinking that the user still has control over what is removed, how are rootkits handled can they be quarantined like other malware in case you remove something that is a false positive or is infact benign (not malicious)?
In Home version you can't manage this automatically (except the Silent Mode of the providers). So, yes, you'll have control over it with the standard settings.

Is there any new differences between Pro and Home edition than what already existed?
Sure. Click here to see the differences between avast Home & Professional versions.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
so the Home edition has all the features from v4.7 and more nothing has been taken out?

I was just concerned that rootkits would be removed without asking first as I believe during BETA testing there were some false positives or that it was identifying system hidden processes as rootkits which, if removed, would cripple the system

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 11:57:12 PM »
so the Home edition has all the features from v4.7 and more nothing has been taken out?
No, features were added to both Pro and Home and nothing was removed...

I was just concerned that rootkits would be removed without asking first as I believe during BETA testing there were some false positives or that it was identifying system hidden processes as rootkits which, if removed, would cripple the system
The action with rootkits aren't automatic in Home version...
In Pro version there is a new Task called Rootkin (scan).

Avastfan1

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:23:43 AM »
Hi Tech,

Is my version of Avast Pro 4.8.1169 missing the new anti-rootkit feature?  :o :o

I'm using Avast Pro 4.8.1169 on Windows XP SP2 and I can't find the rootkit information on that screenshot you posted?

I am in the Enhanced User Interface and when I click on the tasks folder I only see:

- Resident Protection
- Scan: diskette A
- Scan: interactive selection
- Scan: local disks

Thanks in advance!

Avastfan1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:13 AM »
Hi Tech,
Is my version of Avast Pro 4.8.1169 missing the new anti-rootkit feature?  :o :o
I'm using Avast Pro 4.8.1169 on Windows XP SP2 and I can't find the rootkit information on that screenshot you posted?
Just set the option in the Enhanced settings of avast.

Avastfan1

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:35:56 AM »
Hi Tech,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I checked the box you mentioned under settings and enhanced interface.

I closed avast and reloaded it but now I only see:

- Explorer Extension
- Screen Saver
- Resident Protection
- Scan: interactive selection  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Thanks in advance!

Avastfan1
- Scan: local disks

Now I'm really worried!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:07:26 AM »
Boot solves?

Avastfan1

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:18:04 AM »
Hi Tech,

I shutdown the whole computer and cold-booted it up again.

I still only see the following tasks:

- Explorer Extension
- Screen Saver
- Resident Protection
- Scan: interactive selection

Now I am REALLY worried  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Thanks for your continuing support!  :D

Avastfan1

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »
one other question

If I dont update my program to V4.8 and the definitions I download contain fixes for V4.8 will they still be applied when I come to update to V4.8?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 07:22:23 PM »
The VPS updates may work for a while, but I don't know if things which changed in the program will effect the VPS which require the latest program update. AS far as would the changes be applied later, anything in the VPS would still be there when you update, so I guess they would still be available for use/instruction of 4.8.

Though I can't understand why you would want to wait, the beta went well, releasing 4 beta versions before the regular release, all of which I mentioned in my first reply and the Pros far outweigh the possible minor issues.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:31:03 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security