Author Topic: Shortcut logos for update to 4.8.1169 don't function correctly!  (Read 5859 times)

MarshallO

Ever since updating to 4.8.1169 the Avast! shortcut logo disappears every time I download new software, becoming just the generic "page with a bent corner" logo that has a little "window" box inside!  The Avast! logo is always missing for the main program in the Avast! Folder under All Programs (being only the generic one), regardless of whether I load new software or not, and Avast! also shows up with a generic logo in the Start Menu whenever it is used!

I have downloaded Avast! 4.8.1169 three times in a attempt to fix these three problems, with no success, and find it very annoying--almost to the point of changing to another anti-virus software!

Everything worked fine until the update to 4.8.1169!  Does anybody know what happened and if it can be fixed?  I'm not sure if I trust Avast! anymore!

I have Windows Vista SP1.

Thank you!

rassel

Re: Shortcut logos for update to 4.8.1169 don't function correctly!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
Avast can be trusted ok. And im not very understanding what your saying about this
I have downloaded Avast! 4.8.1169 three times in a attempt to fix these three problems, with no success, and find it very annoying--almost to the point of changing to another anti-virus software!
than you said that
Everything worked fine until the update to 4.8.1169!
what do you mean about this? You said you dowloaded Avast! 4.8.1169 with problem then everything work fine until the update to 4.8.1169?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:29:08 AM by rassel »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »
Do you mean you don't see the icon (logo) of avast into the Start Menu?
If you open the Properties (right click the file) and check which icon is set to be there, will it help?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »
If you are talking about the Desktop icon for avast ?
Check that the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashAvast.exe is in that folder, that is where the icon would be extracted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MarshallO

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »
I had requested to be notified via Email whenever I received a Forum reply to my Post, but did not get any notifications, so I didn't know that three of you had answered me!  Thanks everybody!

I spent hours and hours trying to fix this on my own, and finally, so corrupted Avast! that I had to remove it via the Avast! Unistall Utility via Windows Safe mode, and then had to remove a leftover .exe file in order to redownload it!  In the process (which included System Restore), I had to redownload several other software programs as well!  What a mess!

Finally, I got Avast! 4.8.1169 back and functioning correctly, but still with the same lack of the Avast! icons!

And, THEN, I come to this Forum again, see "Tech's" answer, and the whole problem was solved!  Right-clicking on Properties, and selecting the Icon did the trick!  Thanks, Tech!!!

Hours of work for nothing--just because Avast! didn't send me my Email notifications of replies as requested!  That ticks me off. . . .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »
I had requested to be notified via Email whenever I received a Forum reply to my Post, but did not get any notifications, so I didn't know that three of you had answered me!  Thanks everybody!
Check your antispam settings (program or ISP one).

Finally, I got Avast! 4.8.1169 back and functioning correctly, but still with the same lack of the Avast! icons!
If you open Windows Explorer and go to avast folder, does the executables (.exe files) appear with the icon or not?
And, THEN, I come to this Forum again, see "Tech's" answer, and the whole problem was solved!  Right-clicking on Properties, and selecting the Icon did the trick!  Thanks, Tech!!!
You're welcome to avast forums.

MarshallO

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »
The Email problem is solved--I had neglected to provide my new Email address to the Forum.

As to the rest, I don't see any .exe files in the Avast! folder!  Where are they?

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
As to the rest, I don't see any .exe files in the Avast! folder!  Where are they?
Wow... you seem to be infected with Bagle that destroys avast installation.
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

MarshallO

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »
I did as you said, and Avast! now seems to be functioning normally (the icons all appeared and Avast! seems to be working as normal), however, when I open the Avast! folder under Program Files, NO .exe files are listed, although C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashAvast.exe obviously exists, as that is what opens Avast!  Also, when my new setup of Avast! was downloading, and when the "memory test" occurs, I see a lot of .exe files go by, I just don't see any in the Avast! folder itself!  ashAvast.exe, for example, seems to just be listed as ashAvast! (without a .exe behind it)!

Is everything running normally now, or am still messed-up somehow?

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »
Check your folder options in Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, ensure that the Hide extensions for known file types is 'unchecked.'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MarshallO

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »
DavidR:

I did as you said, and all the .exe files now show.  They have varying icons beside them, including the standard icon.

Now, I'm going to have to post ANOTHER Topic.  My scans are now running as slow as molasses!

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:39:23 AM »
Your welcome.

Before you post it read this topic/post which I guess is similar to yours.