Author Topic: my mac avast can not update!  (Read 11260 times)

steven.chien

my mac avast can not update!
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »
it seems that the mac avast is not so good. I first experience problem, "engine can not start" then i need to copy the 400.vps to another folder to solve it, now, when i click update, when the status change to downloading, it got hang!
is there any body who can help me!!?? ???
I am using the latest version of avast mac edition, mac os x 10.5.2 and 56K dial up connection
help me please!!!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: my mac avast can not update!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
Avast for mac does not support incremental updates like the windows version, so it is downloading the entire VPS file and over your 56K connection that can take a while.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

steven.chien

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
I have heard about this before, but the user guide said the following: "full or incremental. Th e preferred incremental form is smaller in size and thus the download takes less time. The full form is used automatically as a fail-safe fallback in cases when the incremental update is not available."
Any body knows that when will the incremental update be available? I am seriously thinking to buy this software, however, the 400.vps is more than10MB and takes nearly an hour to download!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »
There is a rather large update in the works to the Mac edition, My guess is that it would be included then. But so far I think Incremental Updates are only in the Windows Version and not for Linux/Unix/Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
I think Incremental Updates are only in the Windows Version and not for Linux/Unix/Mac
Oh... Linux has incremental as Windows. The 'problem' is on Mac version.
Well, at least, my Kubuntu updates very quickly and does not seem to be downloading a 10Mb file...
The best things in life are free.

kubecj

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »
If I'm not mistaken (and since I still do some work with install), there is not yet a port of a setup to non-windows platform. It's under the works, though.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
I have heard about this before, but the user guide said the following: "full or incremental. Th e preferred incremental form is smaller in size and thus the download takes less time. The full form is used automatically as a fail-safe fallback in cases when the incremental update is not available."
Any body knows that when will the incremental update be available? I am seriously thinking to buy this software, however, the 400.vps is more than10MB and takes nearly an hour to download!

Incremental updates will be available in the very next version, which might be tested/polished/released at the end or April, I hope. There will be more changes, so the testing will take a while.

regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)