Author Topic: Various odd errors in Avast Pro on VIsta  (Read 4578 times)

hegedusa

Various odd errors in Avast Pro on VIsta
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
Hi

This particular Avast installation had an error updating:

"Visthaux.exe this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action."

And various errors listed in the event log (this is a selection of them):

AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: C:\windows\System32\nvd3dum.dll (C:\windows\System32\nvd3dum.dll) returning error, 00000005. 

AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of C:\windows\System32\nvd3dum.dll failed, 00000005. 

AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010020.ci (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010020.ci) returning error, 00000005. 

AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of C:\windows\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb failed, 00000005. 

Also this morning when we tried to run powerpoint we got a message "Error 1406: Setup cannot write the value to the registry key".

On rebooting, everything was OK, with powerpoint and with Avast.

Are these related? Does anyone have any idea if this is just a glitch, a fault with Vista, or a fault with Avast?

Regards

Anthony

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Various odd errors in Avast Pro on VIsta
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
Let me say first that I am not a Vista user - however some of the issues you report are not necessarily "Vista issues".

Visthaux.exe this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

This looks like a Vista specific process but this also looks like a good old fashioned Windows error message -  I cannot see how it could be immediately associated with avast.

All of the 00000005 errors indicate a file that is protected and cannot be accessed by avast.  Many security programs/components  protect their files from access by other applications (and after all avast is just another application you have chosen to install).  So, these are all reports of files that avast has been prevented from accessing. 

This problem you relate of being unable to write the value of a registry key is of more concern - that fact that it was transitory does not remove the concern.  On this one I must defer to others.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Various odd errors in Avast Pro on VIsta
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »
"Visthaux.exe this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action."
Is there a file with this name into avast folder?
I click on it, UAC is started, nothing happens further... I suppose it's not an executable to be directly run.
The best things in life are free.