Author Topic: Computer freezes after the latest free Avast home update.  (Read 26542 times)

OisteinR

Re: Computer freezes after the latest free Avast home update.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »
I had that problem with 4.8, and here's what I had to do to solve the problem.

1. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall (aswclear.exe dated 31.03.2008)
2. Try to uninstall avast from Control Panel first. That was impossible for me though......
2. Boot in Safe Mode.
3. Use the latest Avast Uninstaller.
4. Boot to normal Windows.
5. Install the latest avast! version. (4.8)
6. Boot again.

Everything is perfect now!  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 01:13:32 AM »
If I return the problem will I be able to let my pc freeze on purpose and leave it for some time, power off the pc, then go into safe mode and generate the memory dump?(it doesn’t bug in safe mode since there are no taskbar icons).
No, the dump must be generated while you're using normal Windows (not Safe Mode) as described in the link posted by Igor.

Maybe you should test what OisteinR posted before.
The best things in life are free.

kcscrapper

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 03:53:39 AM »
Well this is good to know i am not the only one with this problem.....At first i thought i had a virus causing my PC to not boot up...Called a friend to help me....I uninstalled in safe mode did a redownload than reinstalled and PC still would not reboot...So i did another uninstall in safe mode...Till you guy's fix the problem i will be using a different ant-virus program....I can not be without an anti-virus program on my PC and or LapTop....

Looking forward to a fix....

PiCo

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 04:43:51 AM »
Well this is good to know i am not the only one with this problem.....At first i thought i had a virus causing my PC to not boot up...Called a friend to help me....I uninstalled in safe mode did a redownload than reinstalled and PC still would not reboot...So i did another uninstall in safe mode...Till you guy's fix the problem i will be using a different ant-virus program....I can not be without an anti-virus program on my PC and or LapTop....

You can use the 4.7v of Avast! which I'm currently using too! At first I turned to AVG free edition, but didn't like it at all.

OisteinR

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:44 AM »

Did you use the latest avast! uninstaller??? (aswclear.exe)

Govadina

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
I had that problem with 4.8, and here's what I had to do to solve the problem.

1. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall (aswclear.exe dated 31.03.2008)
2. Try to uninstall avast from Control Panel first. That was impossible for me though......
2. Boot in Safe Mode.
3. Use the latest Avast Uninstaller.
4. Boot to normal Windows.
5. Install the latest avast! version. (4.8)
6. Boot again.

Everything is perfect now!  :)

Ones, again - doesn't work.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
Can you please try something different.

In Safe mode can you please go to the avast Program Settings > Troubleshooting and check the boxes "Disable rootkit scan" and "Disable avast self-defense module"

Then reboot into Normal mode.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
Till you guy's fix the problem i will be using a different ant-virus program....I can not be without an anti-virus program on my PC and or LapTop...
Did you uninstall this another antivirus before trying to install avast?
Is it Norton? Or McAfee?

kcscrapper

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »
As a matter of fact i did have Norton it came preinstalled on my PC and my Laptop...I uninstalled Norton on both of them and installed Avast...This was over a year ago i had no problems with Avast till this new upgrade...I also talked my daughter into Avast or AVG's paid version now she will have to uninstall Avast....I am useing Windows XP home edition Service pack 2 on my desktop PC and using Windows Vista on my LapTop...

I didn't know there was an (aswclear.exe) you had to download so no i didn't use it ....

kcscrapper

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel (if there is LiveUpdate or other Symantec product there). Also remove AVG in the computer it is running. Look, disable is not enough. Boot.

2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Boot.

3) Install avast from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

ManicFury

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:42 AM »
I've also had this problem and have had to uninstall for the moment... I think I may know whats causing this problem, and hope the tech staff with correct this issue... when avast updates the program, watch the names of the new files being updated; they are pro version-ed,,, since I run free home edition, this may be what's causing the conflict(s)?!? Don't really know, but just an observation.

2007i

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 02:23:47 AM »

2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Boot.

3) Install avast from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

I join this thread having same problems even after following this advice!
Attached setup.log
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:33:41 AM by 2007i »

kcscrapper

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 02:30:39 AM »
Thank you Tech....   :-*

I downloaded the Norton uninstall tool and used it...Also used the aswclear.exe tool...Uninstalled AVG and reinstalled Avast...Than i rebooted PC held my breath and the PC booted back up just fine...With 2 very small freeze ups that lasted maybe 2 seconds each...Now i know what i need to do to my daughters PC tomorrow...Once again thank you for your help....

kcscrapper

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 03:47:57 AM »
Thank you Tech....   :-*
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

Rick F

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 05:13:08 AM »
<snip> when avast updates the program, watch the names of the new files being updated; they are pro version-ed,,, since I run free home edition, this may be what's causing the conflict(s)?!? Don't really know, but just an observation.
I'm pretty sure that's not the cause. Avast free addition has all the modules present for when/if you upgrade to Pro version so you won't have to download another time.  They're kept dormant until when / if you upgrade.