Author Topic: avast becomes unresponsive  (Read 5292 times)

1rexy1

avast becomes unresponsive
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
I leave my pc running constantly (win2k pro). I never had this issue before, and it would run weeks at a time without rebooting. I noticed since I installed the latest version of avast (pro) that it becomes unresponsive when I come back to the pc after 4-5 hours of non use. I cannot do anything on the pc  where avast is concerned.IE; access mail.It just hangs when I try to do that.I have to reboot pc and everything is fine again. I had AVG anti-spyware running on a trial basis, and I am wondering if there is any conflicts with avast. I shut avg anti-spyware down to see if the situation changes.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast becomes unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
What avast! version are you using?
Do you use a firewall? Which one?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
Any other security programs that could interfere?
I'm not sure Win2k has useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?

Is your Standard Shield sensitivity set to High or Normal?
The best things in life are free.

1rexy1

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:49:49 PM »
Thankyou for the quick reply! I forgot to mention that I have processguard (diamondcs.com) running also. I have avast 4.8 pro version 080331-0 running.
The avast log shows that it cannot scan part of processguard. the windows event log does not give any avast errors. I am using zonealarm. Since the last post I did set standard sheild to normal.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 10:08:10 PM »
Thankyou for the quick reply! I forgot to mention that I have processguard (diamondcs.com) running also.
Are avast processes being 'protected' by ProcessGuard?
If you remove ProcessGuard protection, will avast work?

1rexy1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »
Yes processguard does protect avast and everything else. I have to give permission for apps to start when they are updated or changed. However after making some changes in avast (recommended in other posts in the forum) and being away from the pc all day, it appears (touch wood) to be working ok now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:32:47 AM »
Yes processguard does protect avast and everything else. I have to give permission for apps to start when they are updated or changed. However after making some changes in avast (recommended in other posts in the forum) and being away from the pc all day, it appears (touch wood) to be working ok now.
Please, do not disable the self-protection module... Maybe you should let it on and unprotect avast from ProcessGuard (exception list maybe).

1rexy1

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 06:16:43 AM »
Do you mean the self defense module? I did disconnect that in the troubleshooting area along with loading avast after other apps load.I cannot unprotect avast from processguard. I have been using processguard for quite sometime, & I feel quite protected with it & with avast. However I see that avast is moving into areas that processguard covers now. As I stated before it appears that everything as settled down now. I stopped the avg antispyware app from running, not sure if there was conflicts there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
However I see that avast is moving into areas that processguard covers now.
Any antivirus should do that... protect itself. Only very few users will have PG installed side-by-side.

I stopped the avg antispyware app from running, not sure if there was conflicts there.
There isn't a conflict with avast.