Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!  (Read 87305 times)

mhowie

Re: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 02:55:57 AM »
Any other security programs? Firewall, antispywares...
Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
Any Firefox extension that could have bring problems?

I use the Windows firewall and also their Defender antispyware product. 

What information might be useful to you from the error selections?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 10:32:39 PM »
What information might be useful to you from the error selections?
I'm not sure... I'm trying to guess that any error info occurred just before WebShield collapses and start using 100% of the CPU.

Check the folder <avast>\data\log
Are there any files called unpXXXX (where XXXX is a random number) or *.mdmp there?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast.com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).

You can also try dumping the ashwebsv.exe process.
Vlk explains how to create a dump file here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22636.msg187340#msg187340 and here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23283.msg193594#msg193594  ;)
The best things in life are free.

mhowie

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 05:27:25 AM »
Just happened again to me.   >:(  I was unable to stop the ashwebsv.exe process and a system reboot was my only remedy.  I checked the mentioned folder and there is not any sign of files with the names/extensions identified.

I transitioned from AVG as it was asking for me to update when the latest version/signature files were already running... Avast suffers from this periodic bug... which is the greater nuisance?  Perhaps there is another product which does not suffer from annoying glitches?  Probably not...

jmz768

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »
I've been having the same exact problem for a couple of months.  I've been using Avast for years now and this problem has only come up recently so I'm guessing it's something to do with a recent update. 

Anybody have any ideas what's going on?

dggeek

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »
I encounter this bug about once a week.  I will be surfing in Firefox and suddenly no websites will respond.  I check Task Manager and ashwebsv.exe is taking all available CPU cycles.  I can close Firefox and confirm the process has ended, and still it is sucking my CPU.  This affects both FF3 and IE7, not allowing any web pages to load.  My Trillian instant messenger stays connected and allows messages through.

Today it happened again and I tried to stop the avast Web Scanner service, but after 2 minutes it told me the service could not be stopped because it was not responding.  Restarting is the only way I know to get my web browsing back.

I did notice today right after restarting that Avast updated its virus definitions.  Perhaps this is due to Avast hanging while trying to update.

jmz768

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »
I've also noticed that I stay connected to things like Hotmail and Yahoo messenger. 

If I remember correctly, a new version of Avast was released a few months ago.  I think it's a problem with a new release because as I said, I've used Avast for years and had no problems prior to a few months ago.

gigahertz205

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 06:10:53 AM »
I was just about to make a thread about this until I found this as it just happened to me.

Since im using a dual core computer, it only takes up 50% of the CPU usage. All i had was MS Word, Firefox, and AIM on when this happend, and this happens quite often. The only way to solve this problem is to reboot, which can be quite annoying when im doing something important. Also, when this service takes eats the CPU, all internet activity ceases.

I am using XP SP3. This also happened with SP2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »
As Vlk said in reply #7, a dump will be needed...

mhowie

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 03:16:39 AM »
As Vlk said in reply #7, a dump will be needed...

Or a different AV until this bug is eliminated...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »
How do you think that they would find a bug, if it exists, by analysing dump files, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gigahertz205

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 02:15:39 AM »
It happened again just now, and i tried to make a dump file using hangrep.exe. However, the program says failure code 13(i think?) and the dump file is 0KB.

There were 2 .mdmp files in avast/data/log, which had file size of 0KBs each. Im not sure if you want me to uploads those to the FTP server.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
There were 2 .mdmp files in avast/data/log, which had file size of 0KBs each. Im not sure if you want me to uploads those to the FTP server.
They won't help as they're empty...

Synapt

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 04:07:30 AM »
They won't help as they're empty...

I've let this happen twice now coming across this topic, I too am having issues where the dump files being generated in that particular folder are completely empty, and the process will not terminate at all in any which way, reboot seems to be the only method of fully fixing it at this time.

Any other methods of information that might be helpful?

System is Windows XP SP3, Intel C2D E8400 3GHz CPU, GeForce 8600GT 512MB GPU, 4GB RAM, this only seems to happen while I'm using my web browser (Firefox 3.0.1), though it could just be coincidence since I use that thing most of the day for work.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
Have you also tried userdump.exe? (the command-line program)
Sometimes, it works better.

http://public.avast.com/~vlk/userdump.exe

The syntax is
userdump.exe ashWebSv.exe c:\ashWebSv.dmp
(producing dump file in the root of C:\ drive)

Also, make sure you're logged on as administrator before doing this.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gigahertz205

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »
Since im using XP home edition, i cannot log in as administrator without going into safe mode (which means i have to reboot). Instead i created a manual user created dump of the entire memory when this happened.

The file is named "ashWebSv_dump.zip" and is in the process of being uploaded into the server.

EDIT: Ok. Im uisng FileZilla atm and i am trying to upload to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. Says i have a critical error and prevents me from uploading. My initial transfer was stopped in the middle.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:00:23 AM by gigahertz205 »