Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!  (Read 87298 times)

MENNONH

Re: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 07:02:49 PM »
I have had the same problem for about 6 months now.  It happens whenever I am either doing alot in a web browser (usually Firefox) or just when I have had the browser open for a long period of time like I do when I am playing a game.  If I disabled Ashwebsv service it has no effect, probably as I am running on a limited account in XP Pro.  I have to either do a hard reset or do a shutdown that takes about 10-15 minutes to take place.

I will try to do the dump next time it happens, but since it seems to lockup my computer almost fully, I dont know if I will be able to.

kl

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »

I just noticed ashWebSv is taking a lot of memory too - not quite as much as previous posts but noticeable. 

I'd been having problems with my whole computer freezing for the last few weeks, and couldn't figure out why.  Is it possible this ashWebSv.exe business could cause a whole freezup, as opposed to just making browsing impossible?

p.s. I don't really understand this stuff; is ending the ashWebSv process the same as terminating WebShield on the Avast control panel?  Also, why is it running when I'm not on the web?  Sorry to be an idiot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Is ending the ashWebSv process the same as terminating WebShield on the Avast control panel?
Technically, not.
You can't end the service if avast self-defense module is turned on.
But you're trying to kill the symptoms rather than solving the problem.
Which is your firewall? Any other security program that could be interfering with avast? Does it happen with any browser (IE, Firefox?).

Also, why is it running when I'm not on the web?  Sorry to be an idiot.
Because it's a Windows Service. It's started and it's running waiting to be used. If you're not browsing or any program is accessing the Internet, it won't take resources of the computer.
The best things in life are free.

kl

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2009, 04:10:24 AM »
Is ending the ashWebSv process the same as terminating WebShield on the Avast control panel?
Technically, not.
You can't end the service if avast self-defense module is turned on.
But you're trying to kill the symptoms rather than solving the problem.
Which is your firewall? Any other security program that could be interfering with avast? Does it happen with any browser (IE, Firefox?).

Also, why is it running when I'm not on the web?  Sorry to be an idiot.
Because it's a Windows Service. It's started and it's running waiting to be used. If you're not browsing or any program is accessing the Internet, it won't take resources of the computer.

I'm using Windows Firewall.  No other security program.  It was happening with Firefox, haven't checked IE enough yet to know.  I thought it was freezing only at the moment I clicked to move around online, but then once it happened while I was not browsing at all.

Hmm..  actually it does use quite a bit of memory, according to Task Manager, even before I go online.

YoKenny

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »
Does the system only have 256MB RAM?

That is not much RAM and I would add at least another 256MB RAM and even 512MB RAM as RAM is very inexpensive and the best way to boost system performance.

Firefox needs lots of RAM.

Redfox

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2010, 06:55:46 AM »
I dont think browsers are related to this problem. I reinstalled and updated my avast. And after reb0ot my pc starts to hang. I check on my task manager and there is 5 or 6 ashwebsv.Exe is running and it eats a lot of memory.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
I dont think browsers are related to this problem. I reinstalled and updated my avast. And after reb0ot my pc starts to hang. I check on my task manager and there is 5 or 6 ashwebsv.Exe is running and it eats a lot of memory.

That most certainly isn't normal as there should only be one instance of ashWebSv.exe running your installation is somehow corrupt.

What is your Operating System ?
What is/are your browser/s ?
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

I would suggest a clean reinstall, but if advised after giving the above answers:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dave Neve

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »
Hello

I've occasionally had this problem too but suddenly it has got a lot worse

Avast started to not load at start up and I went into services to put Avast on to 'automatic' at boot up (sth had caused this to change)

Now, I have a one in three chance at bootup that ashServ.exe runs mad and uses up all my processor capacity

When this happens, i don't even have enough resources to shut down and have to unplug the computer

I have avast 4.8 home edition according to one window but the version running is 4.6.1861 according to another window

Have Windows XP and three browers (IE, Safari and Mozilla as i need to test my blog in several browsers)

Like others, I have never really worked out what triggers  the problem

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
I have avast 4.8 home edition according to one window but the version running is 4.6.1861 according to another window
  ???
Have you tried repair or a new clean install?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

YoKenny

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
Dave, the current version of avast! V4 is 4.8.1368 and I hope the XP is SP3 with the latest updates.

Go to the avast! icon in the taskbar then right click then select Updating then Program Update

Rebeccah

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
I have something similar happen exactly once that I know of, yesterday.
I have Windows XP (I think SP2), 500MB RAM.  No other security software running.  No firewalls.
I recently installed new backup software (Genie Soft) and finally got around to rebooting to complete the install yesterday.  The laptop pretty much hung during startup.  I eventually got task manager to display what was running, and there were two Avast! processes (ashServ.exe and I forgot the other, I think ashMaiSv.exe) each using up nearly 50% of available CPU cycles.  Total CPU utilization was an unrelenting 100%.  The laptop wouldn't even respond to the power off button, but it turns out it was because all of my frantic ctl-alt-del's were queued up and took about half an hour to get processed.  I did eventually get my laptop shut down again.

I rebooted again and went to sleep rather than wait to see what would happen, and this morning all seems well.  I checked the Avast! log, and found multiple copies of the following entry description:
AAVM - scanning error: FATAL: NOT ENOUGH DATA GOT FROM ASYNC IO CONTROL [99]!!!!!!, 00000000.
The application alternated between 1744 and 2476

I'm thinking my case is probably one of user error - I should have disabled Avast! before doing the backup software installation.

Rebeccah

supergran82

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
I was running the latest Avast with XP Sp3, on slow laptop, 1500ghz? with 256 ram, and I have now uninstalled. I changed to avast a long time ago, and uninstalled avg properly, and it has only been recently I have had this problem with avast.

I read up here about the avast ashwebsev.exe having 5 or 6 instances running on start up, and mine has got up to 13 sometimes and just keeps going until it uses all memory, then virtual memory, then after about 30 minutes, it usually starts turning them off, one by one until finally you only have one running, then the .setup file hogs the rest of what memory is left, and maybe after 45 minutes, I can  use the computer.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, used the uninstaller, then reinstalled again, and I finally admit defeat. No other virus things running, even uninstalled zone alarm, and just run windows firewall, and it still does it. Yes, ram is cheap and 6 months ago, this booted at 512, now it doesn't! Trying to find ram old enough to go in this old laptop most likely won't be easy, so are just running with NO virus checker. Nope I don't like it either. Tried the new microsoft one, and that won't even  start on this old girl

So just thought I would add my bit so maybe the techie has a bit more information to work with.

That most certainly isn't normal as there should only be one instance of ashWebSv.exe running your installation is somehow corrupt.

What is your Operating System ?
What is/are your browser/s ?
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

I would suggest a clean reinstall, but if advised after giving the above answers:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.