Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!  (Read 87546 times)

dggeek

Re: ashWebSv.exe is using 100% CPU for no reason!
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 04:43:38 AM »
Ok, got the bug again today and tried userdump.  This is the message it returned:

Dumping process 1188 (ashWebSv.exe) to c:\ashWebSv.dmp...
The process could not be dumped.
Access is denied.

I am running Windows XP Pro with Administrator access.

I was not running anything different from what I normally run every day.  There was one slight difference today.  I was still able to get to google.com and make successful searches on the site.  However, result links I clicked still would not load.

Edit:  Looks like this is because I didn't disable the web service first.  I will do that next time it happens (another week if past occurrences are any indication).  I see there's another thread open on this now, and it seems to have better info.  I'll post on it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:55:32 AM by dggeek »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
Access is denied.
Can you temporarily disable the avast self defense module (before dumping)?
1. Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
2. Programs settings > Troubleshooting (tab)
3. Disable self defense module
The best things in life are free.

Synapt

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
Access is denied.
Can you temporarily disable the avast self defense module (before dumping)?
1. Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
2. Programs settings > Troubleshooting (tab)
3. Disable self defense module

This still does not allow a dump via hangrep, it still gives a failure code 13 and an empty dumpfile.

HOWEVER... it DOES allow me to finally manually terminate the process, and simply restart it without load issues, so a step to making this less painful to fix (eg; reboot), yet no progress in a step to debugging : P

gigahertz205

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 10:26:20 PM »
One thing to note is that ashWebSv.exe is not in the tasklist when the computer starts up. It is somehow executed at a random time, and only few minutes later from the moment i see ashWebSv.exe come up in the tasklist does my internet freeze.

korp

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »
I am also experiencing this problem with ashWebSv.exe hogging the CPU 100% after surfing the web for a long time. I do not really see a pattern as of what the reason might be, and it takes such a long time for it to occur that it is very hard to find a cause. I am using an Acer Aspire One 150.

Disabling Avast self defense module and killing the ashWebSv process will bring the computer back to a uasable state.

Synapt

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 04:39:37 AM »
Just happened again... an update on this situation would be wonderfully nice gentleman?  is there a patch to this already that I missed some how?

dggeek

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 03:31:11 AM »
Well, it took a month, but I got the bug again today.  I was able to get a dump and uploaded it to the FTP server.  Hope it helps.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »
I'm wondering if it might be worth your while to try the current beta build and see if that has made any inroads into this problem, see here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39392.0 for how to get the beta.

Ignore the rest of the comments on this topic as they relate to the earlier beta build 4.8.1256, the 4.8.1263 resolved the issues reported on this topic.

There is another beta refresh due shortly as a bug that could cause a BSOD though it isn't wide spread, but it may be worth waiting a day or so for the next beta refresh.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gigahertz205

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »
I actually got the dump of ashWebSv.exe using "userdump.exe". I saw somewhere that you can right click the blue a ball -> Program settings -> Troubleshooting -> and click on "Disable avast! self defense module." After disabling it, I was able to create a dump of the process.

For reference, you can end ashWebSv.exe from task manager if you disable the module.

The dump file named "ashWebSv.exe.zip" has been uploaded to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming.

dggeek

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 03:31:16 AM »
I got the bug again today and was able to access web pages after terminating and then starting the Web Shield.  However, ashwebsv.exe was still using all available CPU cycles.  Next time I will try disabling the self defense and terminating the process.  Perhaps then I will at least be able to avoid a restart.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 09:49:14 AM »
Can you try it with the latest beta?

perfectlyGoodInk

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 12:57:47 AM »
Can you try it with the latest beta?

Just thought I'd mention that I used to get this problem pretty regularly (every few hours) since I switched from AVG to Avast last week (and yes, I always have a TON of open Firefox tabs), but have not seen it since I upgraded to the latest beta last night (and if I do, I'll try to get a log, of course).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »
The best things in life are free.

perfectlyGoodInk

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 06:08:11 AM »
Well, I already removed AVG via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Still haven't seen the bug with the latest beta. I imagine it's been fixed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »
Decause that isn't perfect, we are suggesting you also use the uninstall tool which is a little more thorough, as we are seeing more cases in the forums of remnants left after an add remove programs uninstall of the latest version of avg. It is basically belt and braces to ensure there are no remnants that could have any possible interaction.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security