Author Topic: Avast 4.8 very slow full system "Quick scan"  (Read 29833 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast 4.8 very slow full system "Quick scan"
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »
Vlk,

I have to guess that there are two factors at work but the basic cause is probably the rootkit scan

1) It is slowing scanning in general (see: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34314.msg287318#msg287318 ) practically no exlusion apply to this folder
2) It is causing excessive (directory management I think) I/O on those folders that contain large numbers of excluded files.  See the post above this. 

By the way ... in support of both ... I have reported elsewhere here that there is no change in the timing of my weekly  whole system ashquick scan between 4.7 and 4.8.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:49:30 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »
<snip>
you may have missed this quote from Vlk in another thread:
<snip>
However, the rootkit scan should not take place if you're performing a "Quick" scan.
<snip>

That makes things even more interesting, in the Quick scan there is no rootkit scan and the scan duration is even higher than the Standard scan where a rootkit scan takes place ???

I'm also surprised by that quote of Vlk as I have two event viewer entries (aswar failure) that would appear to coincide with both my Quick and Standard scan. So to me it appears that the rootkit scan is done (or attempted and failed on my FAT32 system) for the Quick scan ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wattsa02

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »
But how can you know if rootkit scanning was done, or not??

And, by other hand, how can you get a boot scan done?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 02:01:19 PM by Wattsa02 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
1. Difficult as it doesn't announce it presence, I found it was being run because it was failing and error messages were in the windows event viewer, if it is working a) there won't be an event viewer entry, b) if you had a rootkit it would have a pop-up alert, c) if you are clean nothing would pop-up.

2. If you have XP, vista32bit or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...' Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wattsa02

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »
And how can you get emergency disks for Avast??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
What emergency disks are you talking about (I wasn't aware there were any, disks other than the BART CD which is costly) ?

Wattsa02

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »
Other applications for virus have the option to save emergency disks to use them in case your system goes down. I was surprised as avast seems not to have this option.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 06:32:32 PM »
I have never heard of that, certainly for any of the AV I have used over ten years or more. I must have lead a sheltered life, I also trust to my own back-up and recovery system.

I use a hard disk imaging application. I also do a daily (or more frequently) back-up all the things that you don't want to lose, data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day.

I do a weekly image of my partitions and save them to my 2nd hard disk, they can also be saved to off-line storage, DVD, USB external hard disk, etc. as part of my weekly system maintenance.

So if the worst comes to the worst at most I lose:
A. 6 days worth of program updates or new installations, but with my daily back-up I can recover most of that.
B. less than one days data files, emails, etc.
None of these is a problem and much quicker than a system reinstall and I don't have to go on-line to download the myriad of security updates needed to secure my system where there is a chance to get reinfected whilst my system has vulnerabilities because of these missing patches. Not to mention all my system tweaks and program settings are retained and I will have saved myself many hours of work and a huge amount of stress.

Many of these programs cost, there are some free ones, but it will take some research on your part to find these tools and decide on what is best for you from reviews, user feed back, etc. good luck.

Wattsa02

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 04:41:48 PM »
Well, there are many applications that I have never heard of them before. And it can be very hard to find just the information you need, or the best applications to get back-ups or hard disk images, for example, if you don't know much about them.

insider

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
BTW is there already a solution to this problem or ... do we just have to wait ? 4.8 is so slow that it takes more than 2 hours to scan 2 disks .... :(

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »
I believe that the avast team are still researching this issue

I suspect that the avast team are quite busy at the moment and delays in avast scanning are not, I suggest, the highest priority that the team has to deal with right now.  Please give them a longer breathing space to deal with this issue.   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:05:57 AM by alanrf »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2008, 11:05:40 AM »
I did some changes which will hopefully speed things up (like removing that unnecessary registry access alanrf discovered - though I wouldn't expect it to cause such a slowdown).
Now, I'm waiting for Vlk to finish some other fixes and release a new beta; should be quite soon.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 07:09:11 AM »
As far as I am able to tell from the testing I have conducted thus far any issues that I have reported on the scanning functions of avast 4.8 have been corrected in avast 4.8.1178 (beta version).

In the unlikely event that further testing indicates anything counter to this I will post to the forum.

By the way igor ... that:

I wouldn't expect it to cause such a slowdown

in the folder I had been reporting ... went (with the avist skin) from a scan time of 104 seconds to 0 seconds.  Seems you work more wonders than you imagine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:20:07 AM by alanrf »