Author Topic: exactly when does avast home or pro run the rootkit scan?  (Read 4287 times)

hegedusa

exactly when does avast home or pro run the rootkit scan?
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:39:31 AM »
Can we clear this up once and for all? When exactly does avast home run an antirootkit scan? And Avast Pro, is that different? If it doesn't to a rootkit scan when doing a regular scan, how can we make the rootkit scan happen on demand?

I only ask because there seem to have been conflicting reports in the forums about this. I install avast for many of our customers and just would like to know what to tell them.

Many thanks in advance
Anthony

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: exactly when does avast home or pro run the rootkit scan?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:53:21 AM »
On Boot, with the on-demand scan, and the Pro version has additional controls to be able to run it outside of those occasions.

I don't know if the rootkit scan is also don when you schedule an avast boot-time scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hegedusa

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:59:13 AM »
On Boot, with the on-demand scan, and the Pro version has additional controls to be able to run it outside of those occasions.

I don't know if the rootkit scan is also don when you schedule an avast boot-time scan.

Many thanks, that'll help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
Yes, it is.
The best things in life are free.

hegedusa

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:20:46 AM »
Sorry if I seem a little extra daft here, but where in the pro version would there be a facility to do just a rootkit scan on its own?
Cheers
Anthony

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »
Sorry if I seem a little extra daft here, but where in the pro version would there be a facility to do just a rootkit scan on its own?
Into Tasks there is a Rootkit task that you can configure.
Maybe you need to check 'Special tasks' into settings.
The best things in life are free.

hegedusa

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »
I'm araid I don't see that option in the avast user interface - I just see the other tasks, not the "rootkit" one. I have ticked the box for special tasks....

onlysomeone

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »
I'm araid I don't see that option in the avast user interface - I just see the other tasks, not the "rootkit" one. I have ticked the box for special tasks....

to add a rootkitscan you just have to do the following:

go to tasks -> click on 'new' in the upper menu-bar -> enter a name for you scan -> go to areas -> add -> select the rootkitscan (quick or full) -> remove the 'local harddrive'-entry (if you want to do a rootkitscan only) -> click 'Ok'

now you should be able to run the scan ;)

yours
onlysomeone

hegedusa

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »

to add a rootkitscan you just have to do the following:

go to tasks -> click on 'new' in the upper menu-bar -> enter a name for you scan -> go to areas -> add -> select the rootkitscan (quick or full) -> remove the 'local harddrive'-entry (if you want to do a rootkitscan only) -> click 'Ok'

now you should be able to run the scan ;)

yours
onlysomeone
Ah, thanks, it works now.

onlysomeone

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
yor're welcome!