Author Topic: avast detects a rootkit in common files/aol/acs  (Read 19168 times)

avast detects a rootkit in common files/aol/acs
« on: April 02, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »
and It only happens when the aol tray icon fails to load on startup. Which ironically happens lately now. When the aol icon appears next to the clock, it does not say a rootkit was found.
Otherwise, the new version works fine. I'm not sure if it's a false positive, and i cant have it automatically send a analysis to avast because i have dialup. It comes up with a window that says rootkit found, and then thats as much as (the path in the subject) that i could remember. It also says on the bottom of the window, a checkmarked box to send to avast for analysis. I have dial up though, so when i click ignore once, (I don't check the ignore permanently) I tried going into the avast log to see if it would be in there so that i could send to avast for analysis. It wasn't in the avast log. I have done a full boot scan and updated avast completely with latest updates and i am wondering if it is a false positive? ;) I think so because aol is perfectly safe. :)
I have scanned with all my antispyware apps and i am clean also according to hijack this.

Also, i would like to mention when i told avast to scan and i clicked run in background, after 30 minutes of scanning, i went to restore the window and avast scanner wouldn't restore, even after a hour of waiting for the window to restore. It froze. I had to restart my system. As long as I do not click go to background while the scan is running, and leave it alone for awhile, it will not freeze. If i just minimize it, it works fine. :) So, i do not know what is up. Any help would be appreciated. :) I do not use any skins in avast. I use the really simple interface. I have teatimer sd spybot resident running, windows defender, and avast in the background. I don't know if that helps, but i thought i would mention that. I run windows XP sp2 on a 2.50ghz processor with 760 mb of system ram. Thanks.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:51:05 AM by 129260 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast detects a rootkit in common files/aol/acs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:18:19 AM »
I'm not sure if it's a false positive, and i cant have it automatically send a analysis to avast because i have dialup.
Which is the size of the file?

Does the freeze occur any other time or just once?
The best things in life are free.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:26:24 AM »
I do not know. Thats all i remember from the path and from what the window said. I can try to make it occur again and i will write down everything i see or maybe prob. take a snaphot so that you can see it. As for issue 2, the freeze seems to happen anytime during the scanning process when i click the go to background button. If i just minimize or run the scan normally, it works fine! :) Just when the go to background button is pressed does it seem to freeze the scanning window. Task manager indicates the program is not responding. Did i find a bug? I can try to see if it happens all the time, or only when scanning certain files on the hard drive. I will check and post my results. :) 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:30:16 AM »
The freeze seems to happen anytime during the scanning process when i click the go to background button. If i just minimize or run the scan normally, it works fine! :)
Never saw this problem... I thought just the scan priority is changed, nothing more.
I hope that Alwil team has some time to look at this... forums are really busy these days.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:30:37 AM »
its no prob, anyone that offers a free antiviruis, well, I'm not going to complain. :) I want to buy pro as soon as my finances allow, anyways, here is the screen shots i promised. I wanted to make note that i had to restart a couple of times to see these messages from avast, like i said, it only happens sometimes, not all the time. I'm not going to hit delete because it appears to be a valid aol file. I really had to scale down the images due to the lack of allowing small file sizes and no zip support :( hope these are clear enough to see....As for the scan freezing, i will check into that and let u know asap. (it didn't happen with the older versions of avast btw)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:00:06 AM by 129260 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »
its no prob, anyone that offers a free antiviruis, well, I'm not going to complain. :) I want to buy pro as soon as my finances allow
Although they're a serious company... the free is not a buggy application of the good Pro ;)
I wish they can reproduce this and see if there is something wrong in the program. I've tested on my side and not a problem with the background scanning.

like i said, it only happens sometimes, not all the time.
Doesn't it depend on which other applications are running at the same time as the scanning?

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
"Although they're a serious company... the free is not a buggy application of the good Pro Wink
I wish they can reproduce this and see if there is something wrong in the program. I've tested on my side and not a problem with the background scanning."

yes i know :) Hmm ok. Thanks.

"Doesn't it depend on which other applications are running at the same time as the scanning?"
I meant it doesn't always happen with the rootkit found message. Thats why i said it doesn't always happen. Only somtimes, like i said, i had to reboot sevral times before it came up again. Its weird.
As for the scanning issue: The time it happened I had no other programs running, at least if i remember correctly. (I could be wrong) I'll try scanning again with no programs running and see what happens. Will post back with results.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:01:39 PM by 129260 »

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
any one know how to solve this? thanks :)

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 02:42:10 AM »
when scanning, that issue, it still exists sometimes even when no programs run. :( Also, can anyone help me with the aol rootkit issue? Thanks....

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 05:29:46 AM »
I sent an email to virus (at) avast.com and in the subject i put false positive? and i gave a link to this thread. Since then, I have updated avast completely, and so far I have not seen the aol rootkit message. However, issue 2 with scanning still exists. :) It's not a big issue, so feel free to help anyone else with a bigger issue then mine. :) As long as I don't click go to background it works great! 

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 10:31:10 PM »
The aol issue is back....and i still have not received a word on the mild issue with scanning....I understand these forums are busy. just letting you know I'm still here.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:51:54 AM »
um hello? I am still having the aol rootkit issue! please respond!

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 04:08:12 AM »
um hello? I am still having the aol rootkit issue! please respond!

Offline havildar

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
Good Morning,

I don`t have any answers yet, but would like to confirm a silmilar problem:

avast detects a rootkit in common files/aol/acs.

It seems to be a notification to subscribers that they will need to change their method of connection to the AOL UK servers. I too had the avast warning and clicked the option to send the file to avast at about 4.0 pm yesterday (BST). I also clicked the option to delete then run a boot scan which found nothing.

I should add the aol notification was an invitation to order a CD, presumably to install this new TCP/IP connection (?), I think. Some subscribers have been having problems recently with their DSL modems not being recognised, and unable to log on to AOL UK, which is now CarPhone Warehouse, part of the Talk Talk group. (Keep it simple?)

As usual AOL has been lamentably secretive about what`s going on and, of course, you would be better off speaking to yourself than contacting AOL Help. I tried to order the CD in question, but the link came up with Error 404 Page Not Found.

I`m waiting to see what will transpire today.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 11:18:01 PM »
sigh* hello? can someone please respond that can help me fix this issue?