Author Topic: avast detects a rootkit in common files/aol/acs  (Read 19167 times)

rassel

Re: avast detects a rootkit in common files/aol/acs
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 07:18:30 AM »
Be patient. There will be someone who can help you out. ::)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 07:23:37 AM »
Were I the original poster I can tell you my patience would have worn out completely by now too.

For goodness sake could not one single member of the avast team have thrown the original poster some kind of lifeline by now. 

Anyone home in avast central who cares about the users?     
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 07:25:35 AM by alanrf »

rassel

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 08:11:36 AM »
Sorry i didn't saw until the date
The aol issue is back....and i still have not received a word on the mild issue with scanning....I understand these forums are busy. just letting you know I'm still here.
to
sigh* hello? can someone please respond that can help me fix this issue?
That must be quite bad. Is about one week getting the problem.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 03:11:29 AM »
     ya and sometimes when i boot when the message comes up i just keep hitting ignore, not ignore forever, but ignore, i have posted screenshots, I'm not computer stupid, (I build computers and test software as a hobby), I know what I'm talking about lol, so i don't know why no one can help me figure this out.

(This forum needs a place separate for users who have not received help in a certain matter of days. just a comment  ;))

I'm not mad, just frustrated with the lack of help. Although, feel free to keep replying to bump my thread up so hopefully someone will see it :) I understand that these issues really are not all that serious, but I would like avast people to check this out, As i think these might be 2 bugs. I'm not going to say there bugs 100%, but these are certainly not normal operations. Hopefully we can figure this out, maybe it's a software issue conflict or something.

(I'm not mad, I'm doing my best to be patient)

More info:
Windows defender in background.-latest version
spybot sd resident.-latest version
Aol-9.0 security edition
Aim (aol instant messenger)-doesn't run on startup-older classic version
Avast-latest version
Zonealarm-latest version
nero incd-incd version 4

Other background processes:
Zune software
Mcafee site advisor

Maybe that will help.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:26:03 AM by 129260 »

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 04:08:17 AM »
so.......can anyone help me yet?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 04:12:48 AM »
so.......can anyone help me yet?
129260, I'm reading the last posts... but for sure I can't help with AOL things... I never used their software (not that famous for being good ones).
Did you submit the files to Alwil team for analysis?
The best things in life are free.

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 04:15:45 AM »
Ya, well I'm getting high speed soon, but other people who use this computer prefer aol, so i leave in installed. yes i did. Email says it was successfully sent :) Still haven't received any word. I cant send the files because it wont let me submit anything, it wont let me submit what avast calls the infected file...because it doesn't show up in Avast's logs to submit. Nothing in the avast log viewer or anything indicate the infection or warning from the message i am getting.....I just posted a link to this thread in the email.

I said this in a post :"I sent an email to virus (at) avast.com and in the subject i put false positive? and i gave a link to this thread." just in case u missed it ;)

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 06:47:52 PM by 129260 »

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »
so any more word yet? And if you someone responds if you read the first page you will know whats going on better. :) thanks for your time, i am looking forward to a solution to these problems.   

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 05:30:45 AM »
anyone have any more ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »
Unfortunately not the new rootkit module is still a bit of a mystery to the avast users who have tried to help, we too are waiting for some input from those who might know, the Alwil team, we feel your frustration.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »
thanks :) I am just glad someone replied. I'm trying to keep my post near the top so hopefully someone from the avast team will see it. Thanks very much.

UPDATE!!: I had a bright idea-As of now, I have selected in msconfig and told it to not allow aol to start with the system. Since then, I have not received the rootkit issue! However, that is a temporary workaround until someone can really find out why avast thinks its a rootkit.

The aol processes that start up with the system (that i now disabled) were:

Aol dial (helps aol dial into the Internet)

Aol host manager (which puts the aol icon in the notification area.)

Maybe that will help. Aol version is 9.0 security edition. Also, The scanning issue still exists, minor issue but should be looked into. :) Thanks for your reply, and even though were frustrated, at least were frustrated together haha.  :) thanks for your reply!!

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »
so anyone have any more ideas? haha.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »
I'd suggest updating to the new build 4.8.1195, and when the message comes up next time, check the "Do not tell me about this rootkit anymore" and click Ignore.

That should basically "resolve" the issue..

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 11:48:47 PM »
Thanks Vlk, I hope that resolves 129260's problem and frustration.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »
ok thanks very much. :) I will if it comes up again. The scanning issue with the go to background has also been resolved with the latest database update......weird. Thanks very much everyone. This issue,(or rather issues,) is now resolved :) Thanks to everyone so much. This thread can now be closed. WOHOOOOO!! :) GO AVAST!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:52:00 PM by 129260 »