Author Topic: I cannot move infections to the virus chest  (Read 2793 times)

dougbert

I cannot move infections to the virus chest
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
Good afternoon. I'm new here so please be gentle  ;D

I have run two recent scans with avast home edition. I am running vista dual core processor 0n a new compac computer. The first vrrus was for superantispyware free edition. This is the message I received:

"Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
--->Description: Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed."

All I was alllowed only to delete it. Repair would not function either.

The next scan, about 1 hour later, dected a virus in an temp folder-and avast temp file. This time my only option was to move to the recycle bin.

Any suggestions? Why am I not able to access the virus chest? I have had to unistall superantispyeare. Argh!

Thanks,
dougbert

Rick F

Re: I cannot move infections to the virus chest
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »
Hi Doug,

We're pretty sure this is a false positive detection of 'SuperAntispyware'.  I had the same alarm go off about 2 hours ago when I tried to run it. This is with the latest vps update (ver. 080526-0). 

See this thread for more info:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35821.0

I also had to uninstall my copy of SAS (SuperAntispyware) and install the latest copy -- which is now version 4.1.1046.  With this new version, avast no longer detects it as being infected with the trojan, "Win32:Trojan-gen."

You can get the latest version here:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Not sure why you couldn't move it to the chest.

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »
It would exceed the maximum file size to send to the chest, which can be changed, Program Settings, Chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dougbert

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:48:04 AM »
Thanks Rick and David for the advice. I have reinstalled the SAS newest edition and I have increased the virus chest size. I'll run another scan later and (fingers crossed) everything shoudd be fine.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful response.

Dougbert

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »
You would know immediately when you reinstalled as avast would have detected it during installation, so it looks like it is OK.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security