Author Topic: Problem with manual update in 4.8  (Read 5769 times)

Graham

Problem with manual update in 4.8
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
I have uninstalled 4.7 and installed 4.8 of avast anti-virus home edition and entered my personal home user licence.

I tried to manually update 4.8 but got an error using the latest vpsupd.exe file.

To correct this I had to disable the avast self defense module under miscellaneous in program settings yet if I do an automatic update i do not have to disable the self defense module.

My question is this :- Why must I disable avast self defense when doing a manual update?

onlysomeone

Re: Problem with manual update in 4.8
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
good question - probably a bug?!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »
Graham

can you take a look at this thread please? 

Were the error messages you got the same as those reported in the first part of the error report?

Graham

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:19:42 PM »
Alanrf ... yes the errors were similar
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:26:24 PM by Graham »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
1. Alan, I don't think Graham's problem is related to the other thread. He's talking about vpsupd.exe (the program that can be used to update the VPS on offline computers).

2. Graham, we're aware of this issue, and are working on a fix (to vpsupd.exe). The thing is, since vpsupd.exe does not come with the avast installation, the self defense module considers it as untrusted and as such, doesn't allow it to make any modifications to the avast state.

We're working on a fix to this. Meanwhile, you'll have to live with the fact that vpsupd.exe will only work with self-defense disabled.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Graham

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »
VIK .....

Thanx for your reply ... any idea when a fix will be released?? i can live with the problem for now as avast is the best anti-virus I have tried

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »
I'd say today? Tomorrow? Or something like that. ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
OK, it has been solved now.
The next time you use vpsupd.exe, everything should be OK.

Thanks
Vlk

royking

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 02:24:52 PM »
hi...m a new avast user .n i too got the same avast update error(setiface error) after i installed avast 4.8 yesterday....i dont have a net connection in my laptop...so i need to update manually....i ran the avast update n got the above eror....can u plz suggest me wat i shud do to overcome the error????plz help....

thanx

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 02:33:49 PM »
hi...m a new avast user .n i too got the same avast update error(setiface error) after i installed avast 4.8 yesterday....i dont have a net connection in my laptop...so i need to update manually....i ran the avast update n got the above eror....can u plz suggest me wat i shud do to overcome the error????plz help....thanx
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
The best things in life are free.

royking

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »
hi...m a new avast user .n i too got the same avast update error(setiface error) after i installed avast 4.8 yesterday....i dont have a net connection in my laptop...so i need to update manually....i ran the avast update n got the above eror....can u plz suggest me wat i shud do to overcome the error????plz help....thanx
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

thanx for ur reply....i will surely try it....but is it the only way to fix it???y this bug is not being rectified with the avast 4.8 version???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 02:45:29 PM »
this bug is not being rectified with the avast 4.8 version???
There are some improvements in v.4.8 that will be released soon (probably a new build of the program).
The best things in life are free.

royking

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
this bug is not being rectified with the avast 4.8 version???
There are some improvements in v.4.8 that will be released soon (probably a new build of the program).

ok thanx...

Forejt

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
hi...m a new avast user .n i too got the same avast update error(setiface error) after i installed avast 4.8 yesterday....i dont have a net connection in my laptop...so i need to update manually....i ran the avast update n got the above eror....can u plz suggest me wat i shud do to overcome the error????plz help....

thanx

Did you download vpsupd.exe again today? It should fix the bug from yesterday's version.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »
Vlk,

then it was precisely related to the other thread.  They both releated to vpsupd.exe
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:39:36 PM by alanrf »