Author Topic: Avast 4.8 and World of Warcraft  (Read 145378 times)

Arnie-san

Re: Avast 4.8 and World of Warcraft
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2008, 12:37:47 AM »
Huh, these resuts are inconsistent with a previous poster (who reported that only #3 solved the problem for him).
Interesting, I'm looking forward to feedback from some other people. I hope that the majority will agree on something. ;)

Well, at times those lags did not show for some time (rarely but happened), even for an hour+, so can still resurface - hence I intend to test it more tomorrow. Even on first file it took ~5 minutes for lags to show again.

EDIT: Is it normal that it allowed me to delete and/or overwrite that file even under normal Windows mode (not safe mode)? As if it's self-protect driver and any other program can just put different file in it's place... Just wondering. :)

Do you still have Start=3 set for aswFsBlk.sys? As that's the driver that's responsible for the protection of the avast files.

No, both are on Start=2, but I can do whatever I want with driver's file anyway. Heh, even better - I can do whatever I want with any Avast files (both in system32/drivers and in Avast4 folder - rename, delete, move to different partition, etc.). Kinda odd...

EDIT: Even more odd, I can now change values in registry for both Start... I couldn't before. To be fully sure I'll just uninstall Avast completly and install 4.8 from scratch, then replace file to nr 2 and test again.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:41:26 AM by Tinara »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »
No, both are on Start=2, but I can do whatever I want with driver's file anyway. Heh, even better - I can do whatever I want with any Avast files (both in system32/drivers and in Avast4 folder - rename, delete, move to different partition, etc.). Kinda odd...

EDIT: Even more odd, I can now change values in registry for both Start... I couldn't before. To be fully sure I'll just uninstall Avast completly and install 4.8 from scratch, then replace file to nr 2 and test again.

Well, haven't you, by a chance, disabled the avast self-protection in avast settings?

BTW the aswSP.sys versions (patches) are experimental, and as such, they miss certain parts of functionality. E.g. version #2 misses the registry key protection and so on...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Arnie-san

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2008, 12:58:37 AM »
Well, haven't you, by a chance, disabled the avast self-protection in avast settings?

I don't remember doing that but... can't rule that out at the moment and it's too late to check - reinstalled 4.8 from scratch (will check it in a moment on new install anyway). But what I noticed now is that standard Start value for aswSP = 1 and not 2.

BTW the aswSP.sys versions (patches) are experimental, and as such, they miss certain parts of functionality. E.g. version #2 misses the registry key protection and so on...

Heh, that would explain it, and of course I thought I somehow broken my Avast install or somesuch. ;) Well, better safe than sorry, hence reinstall.

EDIT: Nevermind me with the files not being protected, nothing such happens after reinstall, I did mess something up with it in settings probably.

Anyway, testing again - file 1 after ~5 minutes still shows no lag, even though standard 4.8 lagged for me instantly on login screen. This will require longer testing that it seemed, but I can tell already that even file nr 1 makes lags much more rare than standard 4.8 for me, even though lag still shown at times on first test. File nr 2 - to be tested tomorrow for longer (so far nor lags), I am too tired now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:26:05 AM by Tinara »

Offline jimmy88

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2008, 02:44:19 AM »
Tried all 4 ... with a whole new problem... Got past the login screens and froze while entering the game world... But ... This did not appear to be an Avast problem... I completely uninstalled Avast and had the exact same problem...Game finally showed server as offline.. when back online (No avast) the game worked fine... Will test further on Wednesday...

Nordic

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »
Only programs affected that I have found are WOW (all the time) and LotRo (only twice per 30 min play).

I have ATI Radeon X1950 Pro as my video card. I guess I will also go for the 4.7.downgrade while this is solved.

Yep, after downgrading to 4.7.it works like charm again.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+

Arnie-san

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
Right, this is a bit odd... Avast reinstalled at the night, registry not touched since then (but I checked if I can manipulate Start values or Avast files - no go, all nicely protected). Using test driver nr 1 since then... and... so far no lags. Which is odd as it did lag once yesterday (before Avast reinstall). Of course freshly installed 4.8 did lag instantly, even on login screen, but as I said - so far, playing WoW for over an hour, no lags at all on test file nr 1. Now that's a nut to chew on, isn't it (lack of consistency)?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »
If #1 really solved the problem, that would be ideal. That's because It's the only one that contains all the functionality (drivers #2, #3 and #4 have some features disabled to find out if they're responsible for the problem).

Let's wait what our testers day.

Thanks a lot
Vlk

Ulon

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
Hi!

First of all, I haven't done the tests myself yet because I'm working. I'll do it as far I get home.

Second, I would like to ask a question. When performing those changes to the registry, will Avart! antivirus still work properly? Or there will be problems and I'm vulnerable to virus?

Thanks for answering.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Second, I would like to ask a question. When performing those changes to the registry, will Avart! antivirus still work properly? Or there will be problems and I'm vulnerable to virus?

The procedure (described in the "Reply #57" of this thread) does not require you to change any registry entries.
And in any case, the basic functionality of avast (e.g. scanning for viruses) will not be altered.

Thanks
Vlk

Tuwa

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »
Tried driver #1, could play World of Warcraft in full-screen mode for 2 hours without a slightest keyboard lag. Experiencing bit higher latency when compared to playing without Avast!, but this might be caused by something else as well.

Current settings:

* aswFsBlk.sys = 2
* aswSP.sys = 1
* WinXP SP2, running WoW Client 2.4.1 and Avast 4.8 (080408-0)
* All Avast! features Enabled, nothing ticked in Troubleshooting program settings

Hope this helps, keep up the good work!

Offline Karhal

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »
Not sing victory too soon. Yesterday i found a solution to the problem without touching Avast, but today the problem appeared again by a moment and then it disappeared

Arnie-san

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
Well, a couple more hours in WoW (addiction ::) ) today and... still good with driver 1. I did noticed lag once, just for ~2seconds in that time (like yesterday when testing this driver), but it vanished really fast and could be coused by something else really. Besides that - 0 lags. :)

I even forced Avast 4.8 update (she was using for now 4.7) into my roomie on her laptop (Barton Mobile 2500+, WinXP, 1GB RAM, Mobility Radeon9600) - after about 2 hours of playing she has now no lags either with driver 1 (standard Avast 4.8 lags her almost instantly, just like me). :)

EDIT: As this lags are often really sneaky I am going to test it even more (+roomie as well) and see. Still, that's WoW only, and I hope more people will test with other "problematic" games too - to be sure.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:29:53 PM by Tinara »

oritsuru

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2008, 07:04:07 PM »
So, stopping the service doesn't help wither... hmm... very odd, I have to say.

I'm just wondering what is left running on the system once you turn the service off.
It's basically just the avast kernel drivers, but these should be more or less switched to "pass-through" mode as well.

What we could try is prevent the new drivers from loading, and see if it makes any difference.

Could you guys please try one more thing?

1. with avast 4.8 installed, boot into Windows Safe Mode
2. from there, run regedit and navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
3. in the aswSP and aswFsBlk subkeys, change the value called "Start" to 3 (manual start).
4. reboot the system

This will suppress the avast self defense drivers. I'll like to here if that solves the problem (with the service either on or off - but it shouldn't be too relevant).

Thanks
Vlk

Got here from the WoW forums... I was going crazy from what I thought were "lag" issues as my keys were not triggering what they should have. But I can't wait to try this fix!  Love Avast and love Warcraft too... use Avast on all 3 computers at home and 2 have been displaying this problem (need to test the last one too). Will report on it as soon as I can.

This doesn't cripple Avast does it? *worried*

dig314

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »
Neverwinter Nights ( not NWN 2 ) and Unreal Tournament 2004 have the same problem:
keystrokes lag but mouse does not
At least in UT2004, all graphics appear to be rendered correctly and at normal speed

What are my best options?
#1 Wait on a fix
#2 Try the steps in reply #57
#3 Just try driver 3 from reply #57
#4 Downgrade to Avast 4.7

Thank you for your time and thank you for Avast Home.

Dig

juiceUK

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Hi,

Just to let you know Avast 4.8 is affecting Nvidia users too (8500GT). As soon as i updated to 4.8 my pings in battlefield 2142 went really erratic like jumping from 25ms to 1000ms then back to 25ms in a split second. I would go to move my character and he would not stop for a few seconds. I was getting this keyboard problem a little on 4.7 too, 4.8 made it worse. Since uninstalling avast my pings have been the lowest i have seen 18ms constant normally they are 25ms upwards. Keyboard problems also gone. Hope you get to the bottom of this as I am using avg at the mo and it is horrible to use compaired to Avast.