Author Topic: Avast 4.8 and World of Warcraft  (Read 145377 times)

ttalukder

Re: Avast 4.8 and World of Warcraft
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2008, 07:22:33 PM »
Yep the pre-release seemed to fix the problem at first but after a while the lags came back and they last alot longer.

lee16

« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »
The people having problems with WoW still, are you sure you got the latest driver (8.3), i only ask since that version fixed alot of WoW related problems and its working fine and smooth for me.

--lee

Arnie-san

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
After playing WoW alot on 2 computers (me and roomie that is) I can say that new pre-release build works in general with fixing lags in WoW, but not in 100%. Lags still shows at times, but only for 2-3 seconds, once per a couple of hours and vanishes quickly. Maybe when Avast is updating, can't be sure. So, I would say, for me problem was eliminated in 99%, but not 100% yet - it's good enough even though not perfect.

ttalukder

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »
I have AMD athlon with a Radeon 9800pro. Latest ati driver installed 8.3. Formatted the PC to get rid of this lag then found avast 4.8 was casuing this. Downgraded to 4.7 and everything works fine, disabled automatic software update. I have tried the pre-release build and it didn't fix the problem. I don't play WoW but the lags were experienced in counter strike source which makes it unplayable.

xlander

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »
I am getting in on this a bit late sorry for lack of loyalty. For the time being I am running another freeware tillt he fix is resolved. I have noted one thing that seams may be a common. With that said it loks like we all have an athlon 64 type processor I wonder 1 are we all running the 754 pin set. 2 is it passible the antivirus architecture built into the chip and running both of the processes maybe trips the cpu's flag? I could be talkin sideways out my hind side, but it may be worth looking into. The reason this comes to mins I installed Avaast on my girls laptop and she isnt having a problem. She runs an intel cpu and ati gpu.

Arnie-san

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »
Nah, laptop that I test new pre-release on (and that had problem with standard 4.8 just like my main computer) has Barton Mobile 2500+ so not Athlon64 and different socket and chipset. But it is AMD in the end too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 05:03:54 PM by Tinara »

kobuster

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »
The people having problems with WoW still, are you sure you got the latest driver (8.3), i only ask since that version fixed alot of WoW related problems and its working fine and smooth for me.

--lee

I don't know what 8.3 refers to.  The build number 4.7.1178 matches avast!'s about box, is that not sufficient?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
I believe it refers to the latest ati graphics driver.

That is if you are using an ati graphics card.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kobuster

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Ah...yes, ATI 9800 PRO, Catalyst 8.3.

lee16

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2008, 09:07:27 PM »
Hmm ok so we all seem to be using the latest driver version (8.3), although i will note that i do not use the catalyst, i only use the driver itself.

Also i think xlander/Tinara made a good point about the CPUs, since people having the problems seem to have AMD chipsets, where as myself is using Intel 3ghz 32bit CPU (a bit old for gaming these days i know, but i not game much these days so not shoot me plx  :P)

So yes maybe its the CPUs that could cause the problems, will a fallback being the ATI catalyst (unless anyone else having problems also does not have the catalyst installed), but i must admit i not know the technical ramifications of how they could effect/conflict with Avast.

P.S. Sorry about the ramblings above, i have a habit of thinking outloud  :)

Nivius

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »
iv hade the same problem regarding this temporary lag after gone for .8, but my selution was abit diffrent...

ust noticed that from some reason me dissableing the ATItools whud solv it, and what i heard (gona try next startup) ust disableing ati heat monitoring.

even tho i think the base problem lies on avast, as it started when i upgraded it to 4.8 + latest ati drivers (8.3?)

maybe im wrong but... it fixed it for me atleast...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »
Anyone having the problem with the pre-released build 4.8.1178: does it help if you disable the avast self defense module (avast settings -> Troubleshooting page)?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Roth

« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »
I am runnin lastest ATI Drivers. I have the Beta installed. I am having tons of lag and had a few hard crashes.

Tuwa

« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2008, 12:52:51 AM »
Running Avast 4.8 Professional with pre-release Beta thing installed. I can play World of Warcraft without any lag, but when i run Ventrilo in the background while playing, all lag returns and it's even worse than before applying beta patch. When i press Push-To-Talk key, it actually stays pushed for 5 minutes or so, lag is that bad. This leads me to conclusion that lag might actually be caused by some other conflict than WoW vs Avast? I tried also with Self-defence mode switched off, but lag persisted. When i quit Ventrilo, i can play WoW without problems again. Haven't tested Teamspeak's behaviour yet. So far, i'm forced to uninstall Avast before raid so i can play smoothly, and then install it back after we finish. It's getting quite annoying but have to cope with it for now as we have to use Ventrilo.

CPU - Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz
GPU - nVidia GF 7600GT

(so AMD/ATI chipsets do not seem to be the cause of lag either)

kobuster

« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »
For me, disabling the self-defense module does make the problem go away.  I tried turning it off and on a couple times and every time when SD was on the lag was on, and when SD was off the lag was off.