Author Topic: Avast 4.8 and World of Warcraft  (Read 145373 times)

Roth

Re: Avast 4.8 and World of Warcraft
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2008, 02:25:16 AM »
I tried with Protection off and it seems not bad. havent had a chance to truly test. There was a few hiccups still.

coolget

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2008, 03:38:38 AM »
when i upgrade avast to 4.8 i found one thing to point

i have 2 platform

1:intel e2140, ati x1600 pro, intel 945gc, 2g ram
2:amd athlon 3200+, ati x2600 pro, nforce 4, 2g ram

platform 1 upgrade to 4.8, nothing happened, wow worked very good ,no lag and  other situation.

platform 2 upgrade to 4.8, nothing happened, wow became so lag and response slow,the keyboard sluggish.

i don't why this happen, the intel platform seems ok, so have to install the 4.7 to amd platform is the temporary
resolvent.

Roth

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2008, 03:43:35 AM »
I have intel.

Kinder

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
So it seems like a software problem :

- VGA Drivers ?
- Special App who require push to talk (Ventrilo, Teamspeak, internal game voice chat) ?
- keyboard/mouse drivers ? (logitech, microsoft, razer) ?

All of us must have a software in common (apart from the games...) that may cause the lags.
In my case, my keyboard doesn't lag, but my mouse does a lot with the beta. I assigned shortcuts to the buttons (logitech G5).

xlander

« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
Well I can't say what software we have in common but I do know if I update to the latest catylist software I blue screen of death when i watch video's.

But going by the reply from the person that has an intel system and an athlon his intel didnt have a problem but hi athlon did... goes along with what I am saying. It could be a cpu architecture issue.

kragl

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »
Well I can't say what software we have in common but I do know if I update to the latest catylist software I blue screen of death when i watch video's.

But going by the reply from the person that has an intel system and an athlon his intel didnt have a problem but hi athlon did... goes along with what I am saying. It could be a cpu architecture issue.

Roth stated that he was having the problem and has an intel cpu.

Sata

« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
Some people are saying that the lag comes back after a while (after installing the pre-release), but it hasn't done that for me and I've been playing every day since then. (My issue was with Half Life 2: Episode Two and Team Fortress 2).

I'm using the latest Omega drivers, I have Ati Tray Tools running and here are more complete specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Graphics Card: ATi Radeon HD2600XT
Motherboard: ABIT AN8-V (Nforce 4)
1gb Ram

Drivers updated of course.

Installing the pre-release version fixed the mouse/keyboard problem for me and I didn't do any changes to the registry. The self-defense module is not disabled.

Someone mentioned issues with Ventrilo, I remember having the same problem in CSS, can't remember if I ever fixed it though.

Roth

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »
I am running the latest Logitech Drivers for SetPoint.
I am not running any extra talk software.
I am running the latest ATI Catalyst Drivers for my ATI 1650XT.
I upgraded from an unaltered 4.8 Avast to the BETA.

Pancake

« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2008, 03:05:24 AM »
hi,
I usually played wow untill patch 2.4, then my pc had a big crash and after that i had to reinstall also the antivirus and so i got Avast!, that is not so bad.
Also I updated all the drivers I could.
I didn't experienced keyboard lag, but the latency in game (full screen) was like >9000 ms and also very low fps (9-35).
Then i found that in windowed mode the latency was better (<300 ms) even if the fps were still low.

I read about this thread and I had tryed the beta-patch: nothing changed in game
After this i tryed to disable the autodefense module: the full screen mode seems to work good again, latency <260  but still 14-40 fps.
I tasted this way for more than 4 hours.

now i reactivated the self protection and i can see in the task menager that while i'm writing this the CPU goes to 100% every 4 seconds, then decrease to 5, then goes up again o_O.
Also firefox is a bit low.

I made a deep scan and havn't found any virus, i tryed spyware terminator and nothing, i used the avast antirootkit and nothing as well; now I only have 3pages of firefox opened and the taskmenager.

my pc:

Processore
Modello : AMD Duron(tm) processor
Velocità : 1.29GHz
Numero : 1294 (stimato)
Performance Rating (PR) : PR1876 (stimato)
Core per Processore : 1 Unità
Thread per Core : 1 Unità
Cache Dati Interna : 64kB Sincrono, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
Cache L2 On-board : 64kB ECC Sincrono, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
Bus : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
Supporto MP : 1 Processori
MP APIC : No
BIOS Sistema : Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG
Mainboard : SiS-745
Memoria Totale : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Modello : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS745 CPU to PCI Bridge
Velocità Front Side Bus (FSB) : 2x 100MHz (200MHz vel. dati)
Memoria Totale : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
Velocità Bus di Memoria : 2x 100MHz (200MHz vel. dati)

Sistema Video
Monitor/Pannello : Monitor Plug and Play
Adattatore : NVIDIA GeForce 6200 

and avast! as antivirus and sygate as firewall

...is really avast the problem??
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:06:55 AM by Pancake »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »
now i reactivated the self protection and i can see in the task menager that while i'm writing this the CPU goes to 100% every 4 seconds, then decrease to 5, then goes up again o_O.
Also firefox is a bit low.

If you check the Task Manager - what process is using the CPU?
Does avast! tray icon spin during the "spikes"?

Pancake

« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
while that was happening i only had opened 1firefox with 3 pages and the task menager.

I'm trying to repeat now with 4 pages(in one firefox window) and it seems firefox is using 95-100% of the CPU, and the avast icon is spinning during the spikes..... but now it's not like yesterday, i can't see any "periodic" spike, and after 5 minutes, in this very moment, with 5 opened internet pages firefox is using less than 10-20% of CPU.

Closing 2 pages...
ok   i  could see this "zigzag pattern" with firefox using 97-50% of the CPU and the avast icon spinning. All this for i think 2 minutes, then the CPU seems to be working for max 20% again.

opening one more page and waited 2 minutes..
nothing strange.

opening another firefox and waited 2 minutes..
nothing strange

closing the previously opened page
avast icon spinning but no issue with cpu.. 5 minutes had passed..

opening 2 other different pages and closing them again
waited 2 minutes and nothing strange

I told Avast "manual update" since i installed it, firefox is 2.0.0.13 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »
If avast! icon is spinning, it means it's scanning something. It's possible that the browser (or any other application) may do some heavy logging, opening and writing a file many times. If this were the case (you could find out by opening the avast! resident protection window - left click the blue tray icon, selecting the particular provider - most likely the Standard Shield, and watching the "Last scanned" field), it might be a good idea to place such a file into the list of Standard Shield exclusions.

Pancake

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
I saw the last scanned file was an avast file, but since i was not sure about what  I was doing (hehe :P) because when I controlled this there was no "zigzag" issue, I decided to uninstall avast 4.8 and reinstall the 4.7 from your site and upgrade only the "AVS" and not the "program".
Now it seems that wow latency in full screen is working correctly (even if fps is still lower than "normal"), i'll test more with firefox tomorrow.

thanx for the help  ;D

mrWHO

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »
Here is my report:
Since installing of Home 4.8 I got a hellish lag in most games (like Need for Speed or Space Empires V) funny thing is that games based on Quake 3 engine works almost fine.

Installing beta 4.8.1178 didn't fix any problem...but disabling the self-defence module in troubleshooting menu fixed everything  (so far).

No registry change.

My config:

Win XP SP 2
ATI Radeo 9550
AMD 64 2.6+
Assus mainboard

Could someone tell me is it dangerous to have self-defence module off????

coolget

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »
Hi ,I'm back, now i have to change my antivirus software,after installed and update the latest version, WOW work very well, no any problem.

BTW:my vga driver:8.4.