Author Topic: Avast Home edition 4.8 troubles - Nokia PC Suite/4.7 reinstalling  (Read 8598 times)

Amateur

Hi there. I've got a very strange trouble with new 4.8 avast Home edition. I've updated to it from 4.7 version. After system boot up I discovered that Nokia PC Suite 6.70.20 (Nokia cellsphones manager) installed on my destop won't work any more. I can't connect my phone to PC properly (it's doesn't see it now), can't load any nokia application from PC Suite tray applet... I've tried to add Nokia folder to exclusions (for resident scanner too), but it doesn't act..

After that I uninstalled 4.8 version and PC Suite worked correctly (as always). My next step was - downgrading to old 4.7 version (PC Suite worked perfectly with it before). But... Disappointment again. After 4.7 install I got freezes on system loading (2-3 min pause) and after that avast resident monitor is unable to work with RPC fault...  I've tried to clean avast installation with last aswclear.exe program and install after that, but it doesn't help.

In the end I have 2 variants:

1) working avast 4.8 with disabled Nokia PC Suite (this application is very necessary for me)
2) disabled avast 4.7 with working PC Suite...

I need some help with this mess..

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Home edition 4.8 troubles - Nokia PC Suite/4.7 reinstalling
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:29:17 PM »
It would be nice to know if disabling some modules in avast! would help. For example
- stopping resident providers
- stopping self-defence in Troubleshooting options

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »
Which OS do you have?
Do you have any other security programs (antivirus, firewall, antispyware)?
Have you tried to download and install the new Nokia PC Suite (6.85)?
you can download it here:http://europe.nokia.com/pcsuite

Amateur

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »
It would be nice to know if disabling some modules in avast! would help. For example
- stopping resident providers
- stopping self-defence in Troubleshooting options
I got only "Standart scanner" provider (not sure how named in english version). If I won't be able to use resident defence - it's no sense to use antivirus at all :)
And yes, I've tried to stop self-defence, antirootkit and so on - there were no changes.
Which OS do you have?
Do you have any other security programs (antivirus, firewall, antispyware)?
Have you tried to download and install the new Nokia PC Suite (6.85)?
you can download it here:http://europe.nokia.com/pcsuite
Win XP SP2. Yes, Outpost Firewall 4 only as firewall (there were no any conflicts with it, anyway - I use avast only as antivirus). No, now I can't dowload new NPS version because of some reasons.. There weren't any problems with earlier versions of avast and I'm sad getting some of them now...

onlysomeone

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »
I got only "Standart scanner" provider (not sure how named in english version).

Why do you only have one provider? - so if you point with your mouse to the avast!-symbol in the taskbar, you only see 1 provider at all, 1 provider running?!

Amateur

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »
I got only "Standart scanner" provider (not sure how named in english version).
Why do you only have one provider? - so if you point with your mouse to the avast!-symbol in the taskbar, you only see 1 provider at all, 1 provider running?!
I can't understand your fear :) Yes, I've installed only standart resident scanner provider because I want only to prevent viruses from executing and don't need to hit system performance with unnecessary features.

onlysomeone

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »
did you already try to install the PC Suite again when Avast 4.8 is already installed? because i expect that the installation of PC Suite is damaged...

Amateur

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 09:38:38 AM »
did you already try to install the PC Suite again when Avast 4.8 is already installed? because i expect that the installation of PC Suite is damaged...
I'll try in the evening. But there's such disposition: I install 4.8 - getting disabled NPS, I uninstall 4.8 - getting working NPS... And it may be corrupted NPS installation???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:41:29 AM by Amateur »

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »
well, it of course could be an other problem, but honestly i don't know what...  :-[

Amateur

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 06:33:03 AM »
Solved. I've installed new 6.85 Nokia PC Suite and it works perfectly with 4.8. But I can't undrestand why I need to fix avast bugs with other software installation :)

onlysomeone

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 09:22:10 AM »
well, i don't know if it is a bug of avast or just an incompatability between the two softwares...

the most important thing is that it works now :)