Author Topic: I want Avast to scan, but to be more silent  (Read 5299 times)

GaryGo

I want Avast to scan, but to be more silent
« on: March 21, 2004, 11:33:12 PM »
I use Outlook to read Internet Mail.  Inbound email with a virus is made un-openable (that's good).  I have disabled sounds, and I have checked as many silent-mode checkboxes as I can find.

I want Avast to scan my inbound mail, but I DO NOT want the large "a virus was found" popup to appear.  I just want the email message to be made un-openable.

How do I stop Avast's popup window from appearing?

Thanks,
Gary

GaryGo

Re:I want Avast to scan, but to be more silent
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 11:36:53 PM »
I double checked, the email does not have to be unopenable, but it is marked as being infected.  That's good enough.  I just don't want the Avast popup.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 02:18:34 AM »
Garry, avast! will popup if the Heuristic module says it so. You can configure it. But if you mean automatic 'repair/clean' email messages and/or files, this is a feature of the Pro version.

The home version will only send the virus file to Chest (silent mode > default answer NO).

Did I answer you or not? Do you have any other doubt?
Wellcome!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

GaryGo

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 02:31:32 AM »
My question is not answered.  I have the free home edition.

With both the Internet Mail and Outlook/Express providers, under the Heuristics tab, there is nothing about "popups".  Silent is checked, with Delete/Deny.

Under the Heuristics Advanced tab, everything is grayed out.

Whenever a virus is detected in an inbound email, a large window pops up that says, "a virus was found".  This takes a few seconds, it's annoying.  I receive infected email every day.  I want to disable Avast's popup window.

Thanks,
Gary

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 02:50:18 AM »
My question is not answered.  I have the free home edition.

With both the Internet Mail and Outlook/Express providers, under the Heuristics tab, there is nothing about "popups".  Silent is checked, with Delete/Deny.

Under the Heuristics Advanced tab, everything is grayed out.

Whenever a virus is detected in an inbound email, a large window pops up that says, "a virus was found".  This takes a few seconds, it's annoying.  I receive infected email every day.  I want to disable Avast's popup window.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary, the only way is disabling avast! Man, you are receiving a virus file and do not want avast! get rid of it? The Home version requires user interaction (unless sending the file to Chest by silent mode). Try the Pro version, where you have fully configurated options for the 'automatic' actions of avast!

Anyway, you can avoid the displaying virus 'advice' (yellow/red layer that pops up when a virus is found) configurating the avast ini file.
More information about it you can see here. See section [AAVM]. I'm trying to do my best to help you  ;)

GaryGo

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 05:21:32 AM »
Yes, you are helping me!

I want Avast to scan and protect, I just don't want it to pop up the window and force me to click OK.  In fact, clicking OK doesn't do anything except close a window that I don't need in the first place.  The infected email has already been processed.

Maybe I need to pay for the PRO version.  If that's the answer, that's OK.

The bottom yellow warning isn't a problem, it closes by itself.  It's the big popup window with the OK button that is annoying.  I receive several infected emails per day, and Avast marks them properly, but the popup window is a pain in my neck.  I receive 200 emails per day, mostly spam, so I need the virus checker to be as silent as possible.

I will look at the .ini file.  But again, maybe I need to pay for the PRO version to get more control.  I understand that.

Thanks, I do really appreciate the help.
Gary

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 05:33:32 AM »
I receive 200 emails per day, mostly spam, so I need the virus checker to be as silent as possible.

Gary, try some Spam killer. I suggest Spamihilator. There is a off-topic forum about it and its configuration. You'll get rid at least of some spam and after avast! processing, you can avoid downloading of the infected messages. So, you can by-pass the warning window. I do this!

Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=3413
Spamihilator: http://www.spamihilator.com

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 07:25:10 AM »
GaryCo, yeah, you somehow figured it. This is only possible in the Pro version. Sorry. :-\

In the Pro version, you can even set up chains of actions, such as

Move2Chest IF-FAILS Delete IF-FAILS ShowThePopup

that should be suitable for users that normally don't want the popup but still want to know about respective problems...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

GaryGo

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 06:16:49 PM »
Technical, thanks for the pointers, it is true that I might reduce my Avast popups by handling the spam differently.  My Outlook rules correctly identify 99% of my spam, but Avast warns me of infections before the Outlook rules take over.

Avast developers should be sure to recognize the problem of the recent worms which caused a HUGE volume of infected mail (for everyone, not just for me).  For a while, I had to disable Avast just to be able to retrieve my email, because I was getting over 50 infected emails per day.  I don't know any of the senders, it's essentially just infected spam.

Thanks, I think this topic is closed,
Gary