Author Topic: New Registration Keys Don't Work in Avast 4.8  (Read 5939 times)

user999

New Registration Keys Don't Work in Avast 4.8
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:09:46 AM »
I got a new registration key last night for the Home version of Avast. I had Avast v4.7 already installed and then had it autoupdated to v4.8.  When I inserted the new reg key, it said "invalid key"......  I thought maybe something was wrong with the key so I had another sent to me. But it didn't matter. I still got an "invalid key" message. I tried installing Avast 4.8 fresh then tried to insert the reg key. It still said invalid key.

So I uninstalled Avast 4.8 and reinstalled Avast 4.7.   The reg key worked in Avast 4.7 but not Avast 4.8.   

Obviously there's a problem with the registration component in Avast 4.8.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New Registration Keys Don't Work in Avast 4.8
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:11:37 AM »
Can you check the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
Please take a look here: http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-invalid-license-number.html

Is your system date/time correct?
Do you use copy & paste method?
Are you sure you do not include the 'last blank space' in the paragraph while copying & pasting?
The best things in life are free.

user999

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:23:19 AM »
Yes, my system day/date/time is correct. I copied/pasted the reg key the same way as I've always been doing for all previous versions of Avast Home before version 4.8.  This is a new key I just got. I got 2 of them. But they only work in  v4.7. No matter how I copy/paste them into v4.8, I get the "invalid key" message.

Looked at the tutorial. I paste the key exactly as shown in the tutorial. It's not rocket science. The reg key still doesn't work when I try to copy/paste it into v4.8. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:32:05 AM by user999 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:02 AM »
user999 , could you please send me an export of the registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswSP ?
My hypothesis is that the self-defense module in avast does not verify any of the avast binaries as "trusted" which leads to all the problems you're describing. It would be very interesting to find out why this is the case. And the key to this may be in that registry key.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jake50

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:08:56 AM »
Hi first post so be gentle.I installed avast 4.8 home edition yesterday and today registered and got a license key,however on entering the key into the about avas link its coming up "invalid license number" should this work straight away? i have informed the technical support by e mail.Help. :)

user999

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:29:35 AM »
Hi first post so be gentle.I installed avast 4.8 home edition yesterday and today registered and got a license key,however on entering the key into the about avas link its coming up "invalid license number" should this work straight away? i have informed the technical support by e mail.Help. :)

It should work right away. I think there's a problem with v4.8.  You're the second person to post about the registration key not working when pasted into Avast 4.8.   I uninstalled Avast 4.8 and reinstalled the previous version v4.7 (available at filehippo.com). The registration key works in v4.7 ---     I won't install v4.8 until I hear the registration key problem is fixed.   I'm sure as more people try to paste new reg keys into v4.8, they'll get the "invalid key" messages, too.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 03:30:11 AM »
jake50, please follow Vlk's suggestions.
user999, did you follow Vlk's suggestions too?

psw

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 07:51:28 AM »
This problem with registration key is not common one but rather specific. E.g., yesterday I have obtained registration key and upgrage process didn't show any registration problem.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »
It is a rare (but existing) problem in v4.8 that we're trying to track down. Sending me the registry key data I asked about above should help us understand what's going on.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jake50

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »
jake50, please follow Vlk's suggestions.
user999, did you follow Vlk's suggestions too?

Thanks going to try that now.O)

*** Done this now downloaded version 4.7.1098 and registered the key in worked first time thanks guys. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:35:36 PM by jake50 »

mister_orange

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
Yesterday i installed 4.8 and couldn't use the keys I was using before. I requested a new one but it didn't work. It always tell me it's invalid. Any suggestions? Or should I go back to 4.7?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 01:03:03 AM »
Yesterday i installed 4.8 and couldn't use the keys I was using before. I requested a new one but it didn't work. It always tell me it's invalid. Any suggestions? Or should I go back to 4.7?
No, you should use the latest beta.
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.

mister_orange

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
Thank you!
Now it's working!  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »
Thank you!