Author Topic: Avast blocks Firefox  (Read 6163 times)

eagle00789

Avast blocks Firefox
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »
My avast 4.8 Home Edition blocks some websites. Previously with Avast 4.7, all pages would load fine, but after the automated update to 4.8, my firefox suddenly refuses to show several pages (including my own (www.decomputeur.nl) and 1 from a friend of mine, which i wont post here as it contains warez)'. I already tried to remove and reinstall firefox, disabled every plugin, even working without ANY plugins installed, but still no luck. The only thing i COULD try is to remove avast and try it again, but i doubt that will be a good solution. What can i do to make my firefox working with avast 4.8?? (by the way, my Internet Explorer is running in a sandbox, and working without any problems)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast blocks Firefox
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:11:38 AM »
Which is your Windows? And your firewall?
The best things in life are free.

eagle00789

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:15:21 AM »
Windows XP SP2 with default windows firewall. Also running a router with firewall enabled

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »
avast doesn't selectively block URL unless you have put them in the URL Blocking section of the Web Shield, so if it is able to browse other sites, a) the web shield is working and b) the firewall isn't blocking the web shield.

So by blocks what exactly do you see, a web page with error 404, etc. what ?

Besides that I can view that site with firefox, so it is working for me with avast web shield and firefox.

Have you tried a different browser ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »
Hi eagle00789,

Could well be that some malware altered your hosts file, while IE is not troubled by it because running in a sandbox as you say, check up with hostess, to be download from here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/php/download.php?id=101533&a=7119298&tag=915654&loc=2

Check this,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Gort

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:08:19 AM »
My avast 4.8 Home Edition blocks some websites. Previously with Avast 4.7, all pages would load fine, but after the automated update to 4.8, my firefox suddenly refuses to show several pages (including my own (www.decomputeur.nl) and 1 from a friend of mine, which i wont post here as it contains warez)'. I already tried to remove and reinstall firefox, disabled every plugin, even working without ANY plugins installed, but still no luck. The only thing i COULD try is to remove avast and try it again, but i doubt that will be a good solution. What can i do to make my firefox working with avast 4.8?? (by the way, my Internet Explorer is running in a sandbox, and working without any problems)

Just tried Firefox on your web site (www.decomputeur.nl) and it loaded without any problem.  I am
running XP SP2, Avast! 4.8 and Comodo firewall with the windows one disabled.  Also running a router with firewall enabled.

eagle00789

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
avast doesn't selectively block URL unless you have put them in the URL Blocking section of the Web Shield, so if it is able to browse other sites, a) the web shield is working and b) the firewall isn't blocking the web shield.

So by blocks what exactly do you see, a web page with error 404, etc. what ?

Besides that I can view that site with firefox, so it is working for me with avast web shield and firefox.

Have you tried a different browser ?
i tried ie wich you could already read above. that browser has no problems.
The site keeps loading without any error messageeven if i keep the site loading for about half an hour, it still is loading.
Hi eagle00789,

Could well be that some malware altered your hosts file, while IE is not troubled by it because running in a sandbox as you say, check up with hostess, to be download from here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/php/download.php?id=101533&a=7119298&tag=915654&loc=2

Check this,

polonus
My hosts file only contains the default 120.0.0.1 entry and nothing else. (besides, i don't need a special program for that)
Just tried Firefox on your web site (www.decomputeur.nl) and it loaded without any problem.  I am
running XP SP2, Avast! 4.8 and Comodo firewall with the windows one disabled.  Also running a router with firewall enabled.
thx

eagle00789

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »
i just uninstalled avast, but i still have the same problem. i am now going to scan for any hidden spyware/rootkits and many other stuff

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
i just uninstalled avast, but i still have the same problem. i am now going to scan for any hidden spyware/rootkits and many other stuff
Yeah... seems it's not avast the core of the problem...
The best things in life are free.

eagle00789

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »
Well, my first guess is was that is was avast, because the problems occured when avast updated itself to the 4.8 version. The real problem was with a bit of spyware (a CoolWebSearch bit). But thanks anyways for all the great help i got here, and i'm going back to reinstall avast

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, glad that you have finally tracked down the real culprit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

eagle00789

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »
i also just found out that a second problem was blocking parts of internet and that was my modem of my provider. they released an update in wich they blocked some ip-adresses. by removing them, all sites now work like a charm.

but i still want to thank the fine comunnity here :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »
No problem and a belated welcome to the forums.