Author Topic: Another 4.8 Strange Slowness Issue - Thinkpad/XP Pro/Standby  (Read 4207 times)

Duncan F

Another 4.8 Strange Slowness Issue - Thinkpad/XP Pro/Standby
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
Hi,

I updated to 4.8 a few days ago and since the reboot my laptop mow takes around 100 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernate).

It's a Thinkpad T42 with XP Pro SP2, Office 2007 and some other bits and peices. No previous issues.

Thanks,

Duncan

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Another 4.8 Strange Slowness Issue - Thinkpad/XP Pro/Standby
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
Are there any files called <avast>\data\log\unpXXXX (where XXXX is a random number)?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast (dot) com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).
The best things in life are free.

Duncan F

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »
Hi Tech,

No, there are no recent "unp*" files. The only one there is 0 bytes and dated 26-Mar, some time before I updated to 4.8. I have another Thinkpad, an X300 running Vista Business and that has no issues. It's almost quicker to shutdown the T42 that to "sleep" it! Any other ideas?

I've only recently (about two months ago) flattened and rebuilt the T42 and it's been perfectly behaved since then. Rebuild was an annual MS entropy reduction exercise. Is there a way to back out to 4.7? Can I manually pull the package down?

I have to say that given the level of noise on here about 4.8, and especially one about Dell's, I think for the moment I'll stick with 4.7 on my Dell desktop and servers. I've advised one of my hedge fund clients, where we've installed c. 70 servers and c. 90 desktops to hold fire via ADNM on moving to 4.8 for the moment. It's a shame, as Avast is about as "lights out" as you can get for corporate AV solutions.

Duncan
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:49:02 PM by Duncan F »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »
Is there a way to back out to 4.7?
I don't recommend but as you want that...
1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
6. Boot. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
7. Check and post the results.

Duncan F

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:24:34 AM »
Thanks,

I'll try that. If it resolves my problem that may help Alwil pinpoint the issues. I'll report back.

Duncan
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:27:09 AM by Duncan F »

Duncan F

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:02:30 PM »
No joy I'm afraid Tech. Once 4.7 is installed, if I then put in my Pro license key it insists on updating to 4.8. There seems to be no way of stopping it. So I've still not been able to isolate 4.8 at the cause of the "resume from sleep" issues.

Duncan

Rick F

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »
No joy I'm afraid Tech. Once 4.7 is installed, if I then put in my Pro license key it insists on updating to 4.8. There seems to be no way of stopping it. So I've still not been able to isolate 4.8 at the cause of the "resume from sleep" issues.

Duncan
Duncan,

You evidently have avast! 4.7 set to automatically update the program -- and not just the virus database.  To prevent an automatic update, you can isolate yourself form the internet (engage interlock on firewall or unplug internet cable), then either before or after entering your license key, 'right-click' on avast 4.7 blue ball, 'left-click' 'program settings'; 'left-click' 'update basic'; then you'll see update settings for virus data base and program.  Set program update to 'manual' so it won't update to 4.8 if that's what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
No joy I'm afraid Tech. Once 4.7 is installed, if I then put in my Pro license key it insists on updating to 4.8. There seems to be no way of stopping it.
Install if off-line. Change the Program update to 'Manual' and it can't be asking for update (or even automatically updating) ???

Duncan F

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
Install if off-line.

Rick F & Tech ... I'll try that. Good point.

Change the Program update to 'Manual' and it can't be asking for update (or even automatically updating) ???

Nope. I did that straight away. I then re-ran the program and entered my reg key. No questions asked, no prisoners, it just updates to 4.8. Try it yourself. Offline seems to be the answer.

The issue is (probably) that the link you gave me was to "setupeng", and with my key for "pro" it tries to upgrade to the latest/greatest, i.e. 4.8. Any link to a 4.7 "setupengpro"??

Thanks,

Duncan

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »
entered my reg key
When a key is entered, avast recognize it and automatically update the program.

Any link to a 4.7 "setupengpro"??
It's not a good idea to downgrade... Anyway you can try 4.7 from the scratch.

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:18:59 AM by Tech »