Author Topic: SMTP  (Read 3363 times)

hines232

SMTP
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:59:39 AM »
 :-[ I use isp.com, as my isp. In SMTP what do I put for: Server address ? and what do I put for: from address ? Or do i have to contact them ?? Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: SMTP
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:47:29 AM »
Basically you put in your default email server settings from your email account.

The from address is usually the email address associated with that default email account, though it could be any valid email address. It is effectively the same as when you send an email, the From address.

You don't have to contact them, it is there if you need to send a virus sample to avast, it uses these details to send it. You can also have an email sent to someone if a virus is detected (Alerts section of Program Settings), like if you had children using the computer you could send yourself an email at work say. However, to be able to do that the you need to have entered the SMTP information.

I have to say I have never managed to get that working on my system.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:51:30 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 03:38:54 AM »
Server address: something like smtp.isp.com
Port: 25 (or the one you've configure into your email program settings)
From address: your email (hines @ isp.com) without any space in the middle...
If your SMTP requires authentication, use your email again and your password.
The best things in life are free.

hines232

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 07:36:03 PM »
Basically you put in your default email server settings from your email account.

The from address is usually the email address associated with that default email account, though it could be any valid email address. It is effectively the same as when you send an email, the From address.

You don't have to contact them, it is there if you need to send a virus sample to avast, it uses these details to send it. You can also have an email sent to someone if a virus is detected (Alerts section of Program Settings), like if you had children using the computer you could send yourself an email at work say. However, to be able to do that the you need to have entered the SMTP information.

I have to say I have never managed to get that working on my system.
???Default e-mail server settings. MY default e-mail is Out Look Express, I looked at "options" see nothing or, I don't know where to look !!! thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
???Default e-mail server settings. MY default e-mail is Out Look Express, I looked at "options" see nothing or, I don't know where to look !!! thanks.
Tools > Accounts > Properties...
The best things in life are free.

hines232

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 08:23:25 PM »
Tools > Accounts > Properties...
  ;DThanks.