Author Topic: Recommended Registry Defrag  (Read 9298 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Recommended Registry Defrag
« on: April 06, 2008, 02:12:47 PM »
G'day can you please recommended me a Registry Defrag software, and please explain why you perfer this software better than the other software.

I would like to get more information from you about Registry Defrag.

Thank you for your support.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 02:37:44 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Recommanded Registry Defrag
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »
Well from the land of OZ there is one from AusLogics

Freeware Defragmentation Tools, http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdefrag.html, there are also user reviews available.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

psw

Re: Recommended Registry Defrag
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »
I tried AusLogic Registry Tools about 3 months ago. As a bare result - I had reinstalled AutoCAD after this tool. So I forgot the name of this company :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »
I have a few derfaggers on my system, JKDefrag, Defraggler and the one I use most because it is for me the quickest (no optomisation) is RejZor's Power Defragmenter, which is a GUI interface for contig.exe (Copyright © 2001-2006 Mark Russinovich of sysinternals fame, now with MS)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »
Is there any real benefit to defragmenting the registry? Ive never looked into it much.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
Over time the registry can have a number of redundant entries left behind by uninstalled applications, etc.

The registry like any other file can become very large and that can also lead to fragmentation, something else again. There are tools for that too ;D

It isn't something that you need to do to frequently though.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:39:01 PM »
Over time the registry can have a number of redundant entries left behind by uninstalled applications, etc.

The registry like any other file can become very large and that can also lead to fragmentation, something else again. There are tools for that too ;D

It isn't something that you need to do to frequently though.
Ahh yet another chore to add to the list
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »
There are some that say it is totally unnecessary and there are many that through not knowing about it have never done it in their lives. The problem being if you were experiencing a problem, it would be very hard to pin down to this as a possible cause.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:16:08 AM »
AusLogics for Vista.
PageDefrag (from Microsoft/Sysinternals) for XP.

Is there any real benefit to defragmenting the registry? Ive never looked into it much.
It's not defragmented by common tools and, in theory, access is slower when it's fragmented.
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 07:18:26 AM »
Keep in mind I am not talking about HD defragment as I've already got O&O Defrag the latest version for my HD I've had O&O Defrag for about a 6 months, the current subject I am talking about is registry defragment which I never knew about this when I found out speaking to a group of friends.

Keep it coming while I am doing more research on registry defrag, DavidR is it worth it to registry defrag cause I thought O&O Defrag does everything HD and registry defragment can you please double check me if I misunderstood on the O&O Defrag software product.

Ta.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:20:02 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »
Myself i try to avoid messing around with the registry as much as possible however i have had good experiences with these two programs. First is Erunt and it backs up your registry and the second is Ntregopt which optimizes it(defrags it). Never had a problem with these two. Try them and see for yourself. Do a backup of your registry first though.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 11:46:20 AM »
Noob,

These programs are nearly 3 years old goes back in 2005 sometime the latest software with the new register add-in when installing new software may not cope with the old type register defrag software, all I am saying is old register defrag software program may or may not handle with the latest installation software which I have a similar experience problem as psw in the past see post 3 above.

Because I do have AutoCAD 2008 and I would hate to fall into a trap last time, so I'm always lucky I have TrueImage which I have cloned my HD about 2 weeks ago.

Have to be very extra careful about old software version that may not cope in such a way it handle, I hope you understand what I am trying to explain.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »
Hey Speedy yes i understand what you mean however like i said those two proggies work perfectly . I would not recommend them if i knew that they caused any probs ;)
Like i said try it and see. Backup your registry or create a system image with TI first.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ntregopt.txt

The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
modified or deleted keys.

Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
any way
, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
minimum size possible.

But i am not sure if O&O defrags the registry though. I think it should if i remember correctly. Used it once but did not like it as much as i do Perfect Disk.

EDIT: I had nothing but trouble with the Auslogics program aswell. Ntregopt never caused any such probs. On XP i used it together with PageDefrag and it worked sweet. Running Vista now and believe it or not Ntregopt and ERUNT still work perfectly ! Not bad for "old" programs ...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:26:05 PM by <n00b> »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
Noob thanks for your return feedback ;) I'll save these two software on my HD after I've done my full research over the web.

To all please keep it coming until I've may my final choice on register defrag.

Ta ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
Keep in mind I am not talking about HD defragment as I've already got O&O Defrag the latest version for my HD I've had O&O Defrag for about a 6 months, the current subject I am talking about is registry defragment which I never knew about this when I found out speaking to a group of friends.
Registry hives are special files like others. But file defragmentation (except, maybe, the O&O at boot time, off-line) won't process these files. So you need special defrag tools to do so, in XP at boot time and in Vista asking for a reboot.
If you're talking about registry cleaning (not defragmentation) it's another history... aren't you messing cleaning with defragmentation?

These programs are nearly 3 years old goes back in 2005
ERUNT is the best registry backup/recover (and it defragments also) for XP/Vista.
I think the GUI and features could be improved, but it works like a charm in XP/Vista... 2005 is not a problem here.
Keep it coming while I am doing more research on registry defrag, DavidR is it worth it to registry defrag cause I thought O&O Defrag does everything HD and registry defragment can you please double check me if I misunderstood on the O&O Defrag software product.
Only off-line... while into Windows, it can't defragment the registry files.
The best things in life are free.