Author Topic: Recommended Registry Defrag  (Read 9299 times)

Hard_ROCKER

Re: Recommended Registry Defrag
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
Hey Tech !

So if O&O does indeed defrag the registry with a boot time defrag then would you not agree Ntregopt + boot time defrag afterwards with O&O would be a good solution for SpeedyPC(if not the best) ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, PerfectDisk can defrag the registry while in windows ... http://perfectdiskblog.typepad.com/perfectdisk_blog/2007/09/defrag-registry.html
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:33:43 PM by <n00b> »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »
So if O&O does indeed defrag the registry with a boot time defrag
It defrags the registry but all other files, it can take a while, it will delay boot time...
I was thinking in a solution to just defrag the registry. I use AusLogics and boot on Vista, on XP I have PageDefrag running at each boot (only system/registry files are defragmented).

then would you not agree Ntregopt + boot time defrag afterwards with O&O would be a good solution for SpeedyPC(if not the best) ?
Ntregopt works. AusLogics works. It's just an user choice.
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »
i don't fool along with mother nature(the registry)learned that from mistakes in the past ;)

justin1278

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »
Personally I use Tune Up Utilities 2008.

It does much more then defragment the registry of course. It's a bit expensive $49.95 but well worth it imo. You can download a 30 day trial from their site.

www.tune-up.com

*EDIT*
Looks like they dropped the price, it's now $39.95

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 05:07:44 PM »
I also occasionally use a registry compacter RegCompact, it compacts the registry hives, see image, it shows the file size before and after compacting. I have been using it for some time with no adverse effect. It used to be a free program, but now it is called RegCompact Pro (http://www.experimentalscene.com/) for the princely sum of $12, not much really, but there are probably tools that are free.

Edit: As you can see from my image some of my registry hives would benefit from compacting.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:10:26 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
I was thinking in a solution to just defrag the registry.

Thats what I've doing Tech I'm having a hard time thinking and trying to make the right choice for my XP Pro ??? after my research and along with your feedback information too which you have been very helpful.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 04:00:16 AM »
Thats what I've doing Tech I'm having a hard time thinking and trying to make the right choice for my XP Pro ??? after my research and along with your feedback information too which you have been very helpful.
But you want defrag or clean? Or both?

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 02:39:21 PM »
Tech,

1. I have O&O Defrag v10.1634 the latest to tidy up my HD which I am happy with no problem ;).

2. I have Wise Registry Cleaner v3.0 the latest and it very easy to handle, and it comes with a backup and restore registry.

3. I have Wise Disk Cleaner 3 for manual clean out once every 3 months which does a lot more than the ccleaner.

4. I have CCleaner v2.06.567 which run the ccleaner when the computer starts to clean out temporarily everyday used, and I never used the ccleaner register cleaner I find the Wise Registry Cleaner does a better job.

5. I have Revo Uninstaller v1.50 the latest which uninstalled the software and also clean out the register which left behind that belong to the software I am uninstalling, not the Window XP systerm register or anything that belong to MS XP Pro and than I used the Wise Registry Cleaner to make saw their are not registry trace left behind by the remain software I was uninstalling.

6. I backup the current registry with Wise Registry Cleaner.

The only thing is missing as I am not 100% sure myself DO I NEED another software called Registry Defrag is it worth getting it yes or no that is my main question in this current post. Go back to the first post I'm only talking about Registry Defrag only nothing else.

From 1 to 6 in this current post right now am I doing the right thing looking after my computer very carefully with damageing to the MS XP Pro registry I didn't say But you want defrag or clean? or both?.

And 7. I thought O&O Defrag does do registry defrag the answer still remain unknown to me.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:46:13 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »
I thought O&O Defrag does do registry defrag the answer still remain unknown to me.
I think it can only handle the registry files at boot time (off line), not in common defragmentations into Windows.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »
I thought O&O Defrag does do registry defrag the answer still remain unknown to me.
I think it can only handle the registry files at boot time (off line), not in common defragmentations into Windows.

Understood.

So i don't need another software called Registry Defrag I am going to find my lost O&O manaul book how to do this very safe.