Author Topic: Forum Problems  (Read 18466 times)

sanctuaryforever

Re: Forum Problems
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
It just happened again for me, its not unbearable but it has only started happening recently

kubecj

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 09:59:42 PM »
VPS release. It simply takes some time to resynchronize and check files validity.

Jahn

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 10:06:32 PM »
It just happened again for me, its not unbearable but it has only started happening recently
Same here. Thanks for the confirmation, kubecj.

gdiloren

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:17:33 PM »
Sometimes I click and I get a blank java script. I go back and click again and it works. Most of the time it works fine. Don't change anything to this forum. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
VPS release.
Why can't these two things - forums and vps/programs updates - be independent?
The best things in life are free.

kubecj

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
We don't want to spoil terabytes of the server's bandwidth. If we want to use the bandwidth, we must get the files here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 03:29:33 AM »
We don't want to spoil terabytes of the server's bandwidth. If we want to use the bandwidth, we must get the files here.
Can't, at least, the forum software show a message?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »
Can't, at least, the forum software show a message?

Well I'm having problems with slow page loads some showing in the tens of seconds, when in the past it has been mentioned if it is higher than tenths of a second it isn't working correctly.

Whilst I appreciate that the VPS updates have to get out, they are happening more frequently now (which is no bad thing) so are we to expect more of this inability to connect or slow page loads ?

Some time ago when we were experiencing similar problems the forum was moved to a different server to isolate and I guess resolve the problem.

Now this inability to connect or slow page loads may not be much of a hindrance for forum members just coming to check on or report a problem, it is a right royal pain in the a** for those of us who give our time freely to help other avast users.

It almost makes it unworkable at times and makes you consider if the time could be better spent than waiting for pages to load.

Edit: added more images of page creation times that are ongoing right now. However some of these page creation times bear no relation to total page display completion, which are way in excess of these times. The last image was supposedly in 5.285 seconds but minutes to completely display.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:34:53 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kubecj

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
We asked our provider to double the RAM - that should definitely help. I got to check what were their conditions.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
Well I gave up for a while because it was simply unworkable, with page creations in the hundreds of seconds rather than in the hundredths of a second.

This time back not much different, the first two images are from may last attempts before quitting as I couldn't even get them posted, the last is from trying to get the unread replies from my last visit, so there is something sadly wrong with the forum.

Hopefully this time it will post successfully.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 12:48:23 AM »
Today morning it gets unworkable...

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 01:32:53 AM »
I might as well get in on this too. All times I refer to are forum times.

I got on the forum about 12.35 pm with no problem. Read a post and replied one. Slight delay on both. Went to read another, the page would not change. Out of curiousity, I opened another browser and tried to reach the forum. This one timed out with the message SMF could not reach the server, server may be busy...

The page that I was trying to reach from within the forum, never appeared, no error, just a progress bar. I gave up after 15 min and went to other things. Time was 12:39 pm.

edit to add

Something that may or may not be helpful. The thread I was attempting to view had a new post in. When I came back some hours later, the thread didn't show a "new". Just as if I had in fact viewed it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:15:28 AM by oldman »

kubecj

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
Ram upgraded. Now we'll see.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
Ram upgraded. Now we'll see.
It seems very good now. Hope it keeps this way.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »
Is it just me, or others having this again? For the last 20 min Lots of delays.

4:39-4:59 pm forum time.