Author Topic: Strange System slowdown after 4.8 update  (Read 26907 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Strange System slowdown after 4.8 update
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 03:40:52 PM »
Since that's the only thing that has changed (hardware or software) since the issue appeared, it seems like that has to be the problem.
Is there any old hardware without the drivers installed properly? Can you double check it?
The best things in life are free.

bhuie

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »
Since that's the only thing that has changed (hardware or software) since the issue appeared, it seems like that has to be the problem.
Is there any old hardware without the drivers installed properly? Can you double check it?

I can't double check anything because my computer won't boot up. 

I also just noticed on my Microsoft Vista laptop (which is the one I'm writing you on) that copying files from my flash drive to my laptop had become very slow.  I just uninstalled avast 4.8 from my laptop, and everything now seems to be running OK again; files transfer at normal speed.

For me, at least, avast 4.8 appears to have been a snafu...

[SJ]Swordy

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 04:02:27 PM »
I was suffering with slow boot times and went as far as reinstalling Windows XP and going through all the processes of getting my PC back to health again only to find it was still having slow boots. I suspected maybe a imminent hard drive failure, but then thinking that Avast was updated and had started the slow boots around the same time I uninstalled Avast to see what the boot time was like after.

The result was from the 5ish min boot up that it was, to a "Normal" 15-30 sec boot.

I have been a user of Avast for some 5 years and have been very happy up till now. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about the trouble free previous 5 years, but there just seems to be a problem with this latest version.

At the moment I've no A/V installed, I wouldn't recommend running without, but it seems I can't recommend this Version of Avast.

Hope this can be fixed quick ???

bhuie

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »
I was suffering with slow boot times and went as far as reinstalling Windows XP and going through all the processes of getting my PC back to health again only to find it was still having slow boots. I suspected maybe a imminent hard drive failure, but then thinking that Avast was updated and had started the slow boots around the same time I uninstalled Avast to see what the boot time was like after.

The result was from the 5ish min boot up that it was, to a "Normal" 15-30 sec boot.

I have been a user of Avast for some 5 years and have been very happy up till now. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about the trouble free previous 5 years, but there just seems to be a problem with this latest version.

At the moment I've no A/V installed, I wouldn't recommend running without, but it seems I can't recommend this Version of Avast.

Hope this can be fixed quick ???

IF I can ever get my desktop to complete the boot process (still not up after 30 minutes), I will be uninstalling avast 4.8.  I hope I don't have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall XP to get to that point...

[SJ]Swordy

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »

IF I can ever get my desktop to complete the boot process (still not up after 30 minutes), I will be uninstalling avast 4.8.  I hope I don't have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall XP to get to that point...

If you can't get it to boot into safe mode, I fear it's the only way.

Also, I wish to add to this that I'm not 100% sure that Avast has a problem as I still need to get some reboots under it's belt, but it seems too much of a coincidence that my system has returned to normal after getting rid of Avast.

I hope you can get your system sorted without resorting to a Format, bhuie  >:(

bhuie

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »

If you can't get it to boot into safe mode, I fear it's the only way.

Also, I wish to add to this that I'm not 100% sure that Avast has a problem as I still need to get some reboots under it's belt, but it seems too much of a coincidence that my system has returned to normal after getting rid of Avast.

I hope you can get your system sorted without resorting to a Format, bhuie  >:(

Thanks, me too.  I just installed a new hard drive after a crash about a month ago, so I've just barely gotten my configuration back to where it needed to be.  I hate to start that process all over again...

[SJ]Swordy

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
It is a pain. Have you tried booting into safe mode? Sorry if you've already said :-[

bhuie

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »
It is a pain. Have you tried booting into safe mode? Sorry if you've already said :-[

Yeah, I've tried safe mode.  It shows a sequence of drivers being loaded, then hangs up at the "Windows is starting up..." screen.

[SJ]Swordy

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
Fear a reinstall, or maybe a better option to try is a repair. Just don't repair on the first screen it's offered, do it from the second screen.

Your files and proggys should still be intact, well most....Not 100% but should be better to try 1st than a complete reinstall......Good luck with it.

Post back with how you get on >:(

bhuie

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
Fear a reinstall, or maybe a better option to try is a repair. Just don't repair on the first screen it's offered, do it from the second screen.

Your files and proggys should still be intact, well most....Not 100% but should be better to try 1st than a complete reinstall......Good luck with it.

Post back with how you get on >:(

Thanks Swordy, I'm off to attempt a repair of XP...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »
By the way, I also had that failing in one or other module in my event viewer, the one ending with a 5.
Error 5 is access denied, not enough rights.

To be precises:
"Internal error has occurred in module aswar scan function failed!, function C0000005"

This has been corrected with today's VPS update, 080407-1
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

[SJ]Swordy

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
So your saying the slow/non boot issue has been fixed?

[SJ]Swordy

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »
Reinstalled Avast, updated to latist version........Slow reboot back.

Guess the problem it fixed isn't the problem we are having ???

PiCo

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »
Reinstalled Avast, updated to latist version........Slow reboot back.

Guess the problem it fixed isn't the problem we are having ???
It was just a Virus Signature Update, not a Program Update  :)

I suggest you go back to stable version 4.7 till all these issues are cleared up!

[SJ]Swordy

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 07:27:31 PM »
By the way, I also had that failing in one or other module in my event viewer, the one ending with a 5.
Error 5 is access denied, not enough rights.

To be precises:
"Internal error has occurred in module aswar scan function failed!, function C0000005"

This has been corrected with today's VPS update, 080407-1

Guess this was wrong then ???