Author Topic: Strange System slowdown after 4.8 update  (Read 27022 times)

Sl3dgehammer

Re: Strange System slowdown after 4.8 update
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
No one has any idea, about what can I do with these two pc?

Offline Herrminator

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »
Here's a 'me too', sorry:

My weekly backup (around 38GB) took ~5h with 4.7.
After installing 4.8 (and excluding it's setup and data directories :( ), it now takes almost 8 hours!

So I counter checked, de-activated avast and ran the backup again: not even 4 hours.

Hmmm....

Hope somebody comes up with a solution. I was quite satisfied with avast for almost four years.
For now, I will have to disable online scanning during backup time, but if the next update doesn't
fix this we'll have to dump avast.

Regards!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Well I guess your weekly back-up probably also changes the file properties, like the last accessed date and or some other indication for your back-up program. So it may be that it opens the file for writing which may be causing avast to scan the file first.

You could pause the standard shield before the back-up so there is no interaction, rather than completely de-active avast. I usually run a scan before I do my weekly Drive Image back-up so if you did a similar thing then pausing the standard shield wouldn't be so bad. Though I have seen no change in my weekly drive image back-up as it obviously operates at a low level, it takes minutes rather than hours, but my data is much less than 38GB.

I back-up all volatile date files, the things that you don't want to lose, data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day sometimes more frequently. avast doesn't seem to get in the way of that.

So if I do experience a serious crash at worst I lose 7 days worth of program installed (but should be able to re-install them from daily backups) and 1 days worth of volatile data.

I use a little program called mirror and I create a batch file to back-up those files I mentioned, it copies them to my second HDD and keeps the two locations synchronised so if I delete something from the source location it also deletes it from the destination.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Herrminator

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
I'm using the vanilla 'ntbackup.exe', run by little batch script from a scheduled task.
Disabling the standard shield is practically the same as disabling avast, because that's more
or less the only provider running.

BTW: How to disable standard shield only from a script?

But nonetheless, I'd still prefer not to disable anything, and have the old performance
back.

Reducing the amount of backed-up data is, of course, not an option.

Regards!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
1. ntbackup.exe is the subject of a program update as it can't be fixed by excluding it, this is in hand and should be a beta release soon.

2. with the avast 4.8 self-defence module you can't. You would have to disable the self-defence module (before you ask, you can't do it from a script either). You would have to disable the self-defence module in Program Settings, Troubleshooting.

3. I think the disabling anything would in the case of the back-up be resolved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Herrminator

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »
Ah, yes, 'net stop "avast! Antivirus"' works only of course, if self-defense is also disabled.

Regards!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
Your welcome.

Offline Herrminator

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
1. ntbackup.exe is the subject of a program update as it can't be fixed by excluding it, this is in hand and should be a beta release soon.

Nice to hear! This will address the performance problems also?

Regards!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »
I have no idea if that will address the performance problems you refer to as it would only address the changes made by backup applications, which it would appear force avast to scan the file/s backed up.

Offline Herrminator

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »
My weekly backup (around 38GB) took ~5h with 4.7.
After installing 4.8 (and excluding it's setup and data directories :( ), it now takes almost 8 hours!

So I counter checked, de-activated avast and ran the backup again: not even 4 hours.

I installed 4.8.1178, and everything (including the INI-Problem) seems to be back to normal :) !

Thanks a lot!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
Glad to hear it and a belated welcome to the forums.

Sl3dgehammer

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »
Ok, this is ridiculous....  >:(
God speed you Avast 4.8, welcome back Avast 4.7 with manual program update... ::)

No offense, but what a shameful stain dear Alwil team.....  :'(

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »
This post reminds me a little of the situation in which a proportion of the population is getting mugged.   Someone comes up with an idea that will prevent that proportion of the population from being mugged.  Trouble is ... it may cause a few teething troubles for some folks who are not being mugged.

The folks who are not being mugged are (I guess) pretty happy.

The folks experiencing the teething problems (even though they were not being mugged) are totally p*ssed off.

So gang .. what is better ... that the folks being mugged are not?  Or is it more important that you do not suffer any temporary irritation and allow the folks being mugged to go on being mugged so that you stay comfortable?

Maybe this is not a community after all ... maybe it is a place full of freeloaders who only care about Number 1.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:22:59 AM by alanrf »